Do you use a bowl saver?

Lazurus

If so which one, and how do you get on with it. They are quite expensive but I can see the advantages and timber saving opportunities as well as the chance to do matching nested bowls.

Also what fittings are available, this would be for a VB36.

Any suggestions welcome.

S.

I use the mcnaughton center saver. It is far more involved than the woodcut version but far more versatile.

Do you have a VB36 as your avatars suggests? Because if you do you will not be able to mount the woodcut to the lathe. The mcnaughton is the only real choice for a VB36!

It takes a good while to become competent with the mcnaughton where as the woodcut is a lot easier to master. However I have taken cores up to about 19" with the mcnaughton and you can also do shallow platters and taller forms with it too.

At times I wish I had both systems, woodcut for production work as it is a lot faster to setup and do batch production and the mcnaughton for the more free form, larger blanks. Unfortunately this would involve buying another lathe! :thumbup:

Sorry just re read the first post! It is for a vb so only option is the mcnaughton center saver! They are great, if a little scary at times!

There is a 40mm tool post listed so I am guessing that, coupled with a 3mt to 2mt reducer should allow the Woodcut to fit?:confused1:

I use the mcnaughton center saver. It is far more involved than the woodcut version but far more versatile.

Do you have a VB36 as your avatars suggests? Because if you do you will not be able to mount the woodcut to the lathe. The mcnaughton is the only real choice for a VB36!

It takes a good while to become competent with the mcnaughton where as the woodcut is a lot easier to master. However I have taken cores up to about 19" with the mcnaughton and you can also do shallow platters and taller forms with it too.

At times I wish I had both systems, woodcut for production work as it is a lot faster to setup and do batch production and the mcnaughton for the more free form, larger blanks. Unfortunately this would involve buying another lathe! :thumbup:

what stops the woodcut being mounted on a VB???

They may now offer a 40mm tool post option but that certainly was not available when I looked into it!

I would still go for the Mcnaughton if I were to put my cash on the line again and once you get the hang of it it comes into it's own. And your lathe has enough horse power to make full use of it.:thumbup:

I guess it depends what kind of work you want to do with it as to which one you should get. If you want loads of perfect cores the day you get it out of the box get the woodcut if it will fit. If you want to be able to do it all and are fine with a good bit of learning get the Mcnaughton center saver.

You don't need to buy all the blades for the Mcnaughton at the same time, just get the toolpost that supports all the blades and add them as you like or need, I got the jumbo set and have never used the straight blades, I may find something useful to do with them but haven't yet!

Good luck with your choice!