Clarification on JASO FC vs FD 2-stroke oils

TimberCutterDartmoor

I've just received a load of bedtime reading from the Oil company whose oil I am a dealer for.

I knew in the back of my mind that JASO FD spec was supposed to be higher performance than FC but apparently not necessarily...

It comes down to basestocks vs additives again... and not just 1-2-3 as in Mineral-Semi Synthetic-Fully Synthetic.

Wiki and BITOG will rightly tell you that FD is the same as FC with even higher detergency.

Stihl HP Mineral (Red) for instance is JASO FB but ISO-L-EGD; talk about confusing; ISO-EGD is the roughly equivilent grade to JASO FD but the tests are different; some argue that one is more concerned with lubricity and heat and another ash content and detergency... Wierdly the next oils up Stihls pecking order (HP Super and Ultra) are both FD and EGD but semi and full synthetic respectively. I would expect Ultra to outperform Super despite the same ratings. Likewise Echo Power-blend is FD but "synthetic blend" whatever that means. Dolmar is certainly FD but Shavey will have to confirm whether it's semi or full syn.

Anyway, some FC oils don't need to be FD certified since they have a superior basestock and therefore don't need the (FD) detergents; not all synthetics are the same remember :sneaky2:

• Like 1

Some people want to know; no need to give it the 2-fingured salute because you're not interested; walk away. :001_rolleyes:

Thanks for souring the thread.

Mull - just foxtrot oscar ok.

Just a wee attempt at humour, given the "bedtime reading" bit at the start😳!

Toys back in the pram please TCD.