How much can a wood processor with operative produce in one day?

TeaMonsta

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering buying 3m lengths of hardwood from the Forestry Commission and hiring in someone to process it into firewood with their equipment (I have none). On average, what sort of amount could I expect to be processed per day? Thanks in advance.

Hi mate how large is timber how large is processor has it log deck how many people thanks Jon

Depends on several things.

A, How big the processor is, ie whats the maximum diameter log it can handle.

B, How is it fed, a decent machine will want a hydraulic feed rack to get a decent output.

C, The diameter of your cord, a big machine can only achieve a decent output with big cord.

D, How the cord is loaded onto the rack, teleporter and log grab or a timber crane is best.

With all the bits in place using decent cord then something like a Posch 360 will produce at least 25 CU m bags a day and a lot more if most of the cord is 300mm - 340mm.

A smaller machine or a machine with some of the support gear such as a feed rack missing will produce a lot less.

Frankly buying in cord at £55 a ton + VAT, having it processed, storing it, delivering it and selling it at £85 a cube inc VAT ay 5% is financially a non starter. Far better to import ready processed kiln dried product from the Baltic, at least you can make some money that way.

A

Hi mate how large is timber how large is processor has it log deck how many people thanks Jon

Hi Jon. Thanks for your quick reply. I see. Sounds like I need a few quotes. I'm in the earliest stage of information gathering to determine whether it's worth buying equipment or hiring someone in to process the lengths into usable firewood. I'll be phoning the forestry tomorrow to find out what options are available from them, if any, regarding diameter of lengths etc. etc.

So, in the meantime, if anyone wants to give me a quote, feel free to send me a PM. I'm in North East Scotland.

My best so far is 25 ton in 5 hours.that was cutting to 500 mm thru 6 way knife with posh 360 plus log deck .I did have a forklift and timber grab feeding me

500mm is far longer than would be required for standard firewood down here.

250mm is my max length.

A

Thanks everyone; lots of info for me to consider.

Frankly buying in cord at £55 a ton + VAT, having it processed, storing it, delivering it and selling it at £85 a cube inc VAT ay 5% is financially a non starter. Far better to import ready processed kiln dried product from the Baltic, at least you can make some money that way.

A

Alycidon, I suppose this is the info I'm really after, thanks. So the hardwood's going to cost me £55 a ton + VAT from the forestry? What sort of price could I expect to pay per ton for the kiln dried Baltic stuff?

Hi Jon. Thanks for your quick reply. I see. Sounds like I need a few quotes. I'm in the earliest stage of information gathering to determine whether it's worth buying equipment or hiring someone in to process the lengths into usable firewood. I'll be phoning the forestry tomorrow to find out what options are available from them, if any, regarding diameter of lengths etc. etc.

So, in the meantime, if anyone wants to give me a quote, feel free to send me a PM. I'm in North East Scotland.

Hi mate you may be Limited on your location to how many people actually give your quote thanks John