going to work in Australia (perth) as a climber

jaminsky

Hi all, I have just signed up so a bit confused on how this all works but hey!:001_smile:

I am looking for any advise and info on going to work in oz, perth to be more precise. I am off there soon for a year. Iv been in the industry in the uk for 7 years and a climber for at least 5. So far i have a meeting with a agency and they seem fairly optimistic about finding me a job and i have a two day trial with a company in perth so something may come of that.

Also i am taking my climbing kit out with me is there any do's and dont's regarding declaring my kit, also can i take my silky saw in my hold luggage. i have cleaned everything really well so hopefully all is cool.

Any tips and advise welcome.

cheers for your time

Doubt you'll get silky in hand luggage. I wouldn't sign up to agencies, wouldn't give them my hard earnt money, I'd by all means be aware of where they are and the contact details. But I'd touch base with a few local firms to where you're going prior to leaving the UK.

I hate agencies, last resort in my opinion.

And sing 'waltz sing Matilda' whilst you climb, you won't go wrong

Ditto the other comments. I wouldn't take a silky. I wouldn't bother with an agency. Climbing kit - Aus customs are very strict, hopefully someone who has travelled with their kit will give you a guide. I used to cobble kit together wherever I went, but I can see its nice to have your bits.

I worked in Aus, including Perth, but over 10yrs ago. No problem getting work if you know how to climb. I just went through the Yellow Pages and found work pretty fast - I guess now you could email before going and sort something. 'Professional Tree Surgeons' I think was the name of a firm - good guys, still going.

Nice place Perth. Good luck. enjoy.

Hi mate welcome to arb talk a great stepping stone and a help for most people I'm now nearly 2 months into working in Adelaide and love it, I emailed loads of firms and it went from there I was asked to produce some photos of my climbing show I had some idea before I got here once here got a trial and I'm still with them now.

As for taking kit I seeked everyone's advise and cleaned all my kit before leaving took in hold luggage 50m rope chainsaw trousers lid various pulleys acenders all that jazz and harness I took some clothes not that many though I was provided with a work uniform. I got my spikes and another rope shipped out later I took a silky in my hold luggage and it was fine wore my boots to the flight took them off on the plane though

It's a fantastic country and they are looking for people everywhere any troubles drop me a pm

No expert on this but having done it recently I know what's needed.

All the best