Italian traffic offence take 4 months reach us!

Goaty

On the 15th of September whilst on holiday in Italy we drove through Tropea It was hot and we where looking for the beach, which we never found, the signs in this area where very poor and even with sat nav we struggled to get out of the place.

Almost 4 months later on Friday the 13th February the rental car company send us an invoice for money they have taken off our credit card £42.50 for adminstration fee for giving the italian police our address.

Its in Italian so I dont understand it. I think its saying we drove through a pedestrian zone or restricted area.

I dont remember seeing a police officer or car. But what is strange when we did see police officers they ignored every lawbreaking motoring incident and simply sped pass speeders.

Anyway Im not chucking toys out the pram etc. But can they shuffle paperwork about for this long after the event? In the UK they have to do it in a short timeframe.

And top tip to slow this down even more, change credit cards after each holiday. The car rental company wouldn't of been able to withdraw

Car rental companies are utter scum mate.

The credit card idea is a good one.

They'd never pursue it because it was probably bollocks in the first place and they would move on to easier targets.

Avis tried to do us in France.

You know the form that has all the dents and scuffs marked which you sign before you hire the car?

My mates and I refused to sign until we'd checked ourselves.

12 more dents, some of them quite bad (definite €500 excess stuff at least).

Big row, blah blah blah, at least one Frenchman now knows the meaning of 'lying shitbag', as I wrote it down on the form for him as asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I had a hire car in Coatia, from the first 100yards we had a tapping noise and thought it a stone in a tyre. A day later, 80mph and had a blow out on their biggest motorway, managed to haul it over andd get the tyre changed with mad Germans coming down the highway at 140mph!

Although there was nothing in the contract, and would have been none the wiser if I hadn't pointed it out, they said we would be liable if the tyre needed replacement - turned out to be a £5 repair and he explained to me about a vulcanised repair:001_rolleyes:

I gave him one of my firm handshakes when we parted - think I could see his eyes watering:thumbup:

They are crooks and the customer pays for everything in their eyes!

After being cautious and adding on extra marks for dents etc to the form before we set off, I later noticed one of the rotational tyres was mounted best to drive in reverse, I did point it out when we returned the FIAT 500L ( we had reserved a fiesta, but got the "upgrade" due to demand)

Whilst we havn't heard from the police yet the rental company have sent a photocopy of Italian document with Police, transit and other words. The rental company have sent their bit in english.

It was a naff holiday, the country is corrupted and they want to sting the wallet as often as possible. The best example was the cablecar to the top of mt Etna. In the ticket office was the price, I can't remember how much but not cheap. However a woman saw my wife looking and said don't bother it only goes half way to another ticket office, which you pay the same again to get to the top.

Naples Museum was half shut on Sunday which was the most recommended day to go as more volunteer staff available.

This incident is only in keeping with my expectations of the holiday.

Edited by Goaty

I've only ever been pulled over by the police once in nearly 30 years of driving. This was in Umbria in Italy, when the police suddenly pulled us over in our british registered golf. I've no idea why they pulled us, as they couldn't speak any English and we couldn't speak any Italian. Bit of a fiasco really, but we still have a laugh about it now.

I suspect that on the rental form you signed, quite probably in very small print is a bit saying you the hirer will be liable for any parking/traffic violations committed. And also that your credit/debit card can be charged, and that an admin fee will apply.

Always walk round the vehicle and check thoroughly for any damage, if it's not marked get it added to the form.

I suspect that on the rental form you signed, quite probably in very small print is a bit saying you the hirer will be liable for any parking/traffic violations committed. And also that your credit/debit card can be charged, and that an admin fee will apply.

Always walk round the vehicle and check thoroughly for any damage, if it's not marked get it added to the form.

Yes probably true. It took2 hrs of queuing to get the blasted car.

We are thinking of not paying the traffic fine. Only recently we binned the rental paperwork.( how long do you have to keep all this clutter ?)

I know if you do a traffic violation in nz then don't pay it goes on your record then if you re enter the country within five years they may get you deported etc.

But ive no plan to ever go back to Italy so no skin off my nose.

Thanks for all the replies, the issue for me is how long it's taken. Here if you don't get a penalty notice sharpish, it's automatically void. That was the angle I was after.