Dust masks for processing

Woodworks

Anyone think they are necessary? Not so much for dust as a nice sharp chain on green wood only makes chips but for the oil that lubes the chain. Working in the sun yesterday and you could see this oil cloud coming off the chain and I must be inhaling some of it :thumbdown: With the Farmi it uses the hydraulic oil for the chain lube so does anyone know how harmful this could be?

Anyone think they are necessary? Not so much for dust as a nice sharp chain on green wood only makes chips but for the oil that lubes the chain. Working in the sun yesterday and you could see this oil cloud coming off the chain and I must be inhaling some of it :thumbdown: With the Farmi it uses the hydraulic oil for the chain lube so does anyone know how harmful this could be?

That's the only down side to the farmi I spend a lot of time stood in front of it and like you could see the mist of oil. The hydraulic oil does not stick like chain oil and really affected the cutting performance of bar and chain. The oil was hot anyway so made situation worse.

If I was still using my farmi I would be wearing a mask it can't be good for you.

I really do miss it as for bendy stuff it was great no guards to stop you getting it where you want it.

That's the only down side to the farmi I spend a lot of time stood in front of it and like you could see the mist of oil. The hydraulic oil does not stick like chain oil and really affected the cutting performance of bar and chain. The oil was hot anyway so made situation worse.

If I was still using my farmi I would be wearing a mask it can't be good for you.

I really do miss it as for bendy stuff it was great no guards to stop you getting it where you want it.

Wondering if I could adapt it to use bio chain oil as the oil feed appears to be just a pipe to the tank and the pump is on the cut mechanism.

Surprised you think the lubrication qualities are bad though. I thought mine was doing pretty well. Running two bars from new and both are fine. Done 5-6 hundred tons with it so far but not got any comparison with any other machines. As you say it's great with bendy stuff. Just spent the weekend putting the most gnarly hedgerow oak through it not fast but still effective.

Wondering if I could adapt it to use bio chain oil as the oil feed appears to be just a pipe to the tank and the pump is on the cut mechanism.

Surprised you think the lubrication qualities are bad though. I thought mine was doing pretty well. Running two bars from new and both are fine. Done 5-6 hundred tons with it so far but not got any comparison with any other machines. As you say it's great with bendy stuff. Just spent the weekend putting the most gnarly hedgerow oak through it not fast but still effective.

If you get it cutting up to its max dia it's not the quickest through the cut and the chain really does heat up giving the cutters hardened edges to the point where I would just chuck the chain and put a new one on. The bars always seemed to needs turning and dressing regularly.

I personally am not a great lover of bio oil I use it in the tajfun as we're 150 m away from a large river at the yard and thought it would be better than mineral based.

The idea of putting an external oil supply on had occurred to me if I still had the machine I would be going down that route. I'm sure it could be done quite easily at a modest cost.

The tajfuns not that good at bendy stuff the if the end against the ram is cut at to servers an angle it does not go through the knife properly resulting in loads of smashed bits. It will cope with banana shaped cord but the real bent stuff gets put in a pile and a lad with a small japa does it. I then do an equal amount of time doing his over size.

Hi how much are you spending on oil chains and bars and all the down time associated with this .I have only ever had circular saw models from palax and do not have any of these problems.I buy good hardwood so a tungsten blade does over a 1000 cube before being sharpened and costs less than £20.I really do not see the point in a chainsaw model processor myself.You pays your money and take your choice.Cheers Chris.

Hi how much are you spending on oil chains and bars and all the down time associated with this .I have only ever had circular saw models from palax and do not have any of these problems.I buy good hardwood so a tungsten blade does over a 1000 cube before being sharpened and costs less than £20.I really do not see the point in a chainsaw model processor myself.You pays your money and take your choice.Cheers Chris.

Not again pleaseb:laugh1:

You just answered your own question - money! When I was looking around for machines in 2010, the difference between chainsaw and circular saw was at least a grand or two and I certainly have not spent that on chains and sharpening.

I too think about wearing a mask. When the sun is shining in the shed you can see fine dust rising of the machine and as we are standing right beside it we must be breathing some it in.

Show me a road-tow circular saw model that cuts 36+ cm diameter wood and I'm all ears :001_smile:

Edited by Woodworks