Looking to buy a sawmill

scraggs

Well after toiling with it for the last few years I want to bite the bullet and buy a mill, I occasionally get the chance to collect the odd butt, and could probably get more but I hate cutting some of them up for firewood. without going on I know it will probably not be financially viable, but I can always use the timber myself around here, and it's just something I want to do.

Going through all the choices, I think a lucas or peterson will probably be my best option, however if I could find a decent trailered bandmill I would give it thought.

So if anyone has one they are thinking of getting rid of, or know of someone who is send me a PM please.

hey scraggs

you need to decide what type of timber you are going to cut e.g. for planks(building) or fancy oddball stuff for carpenters.

I have a peterson mill which is great and also owned a stenner(big bandmill).

Also what are you going to do with all this timber? do you have space to put it, stack it , someone to buy it etc.

I dry my timber and have too much at this stage and nowhere left to put it to keep it dry.

Milling is great fun but you need to make sure you have a plan to either use or sell the timber

peterson is the best 'do all' option in my opinion

best of luck

eoin

Thanks for the advice.

I have more than enough uses for what I will cut around the yard and farm.

I had thought about an alaskan but from what I have seen they look like hard work, I assume hence the winch ?

yes the winch really helps, being a bad back sufferer, I used to dread it, but now its a breeze....:thumbup:59766a91d8085_oldmilltreesnewbury072.jpg.ba8029f9ecee101fc27d5244522c7d65.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

I have more than enough uses for what I will cut around the yard and farm.

For this reason alone I am hopefully about to take delivery of a mobile woodmizer ( thanks to the APF rep). The amount of decent sticks I have run in for chip while I pay a fortune for rubbish fencing products is criminal . I have been stacking timber in the yard for about a month now so when it lands its going straight to work. I was aslo thinking of getting a larger static unit to leave in the yard.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Agree there ,ours has paid for itself already cutting timber for a barn rebuild , farm fencing and more barn restoration projects in the pipe line it will save a lot of out goings and is rewarding as well also does not feel as criminal saving the decent timber from the processor :)

About Two days of milling gave enough timber for this and it was not an awful experience like sucking in fumes and vibes off an Alaskan... Using a crane carefully is also a time saver for loading the mill.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1411886864.998523.jpg.737056d8952f26750b3110fb1cf8f881.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1411887064.498435.jpg.9881122e776336d6f917ee5ba49c07d8.jpg