Steel Cables + Aesculus + 38+ years = ...

treeseer

No worries, apparently. Past owner saw them in 1976 when moving in. No signs of maintenance in the interim. 2014: the first cable looks quite new, the second had raveled one turn of the splice, which we 'remedied' by vinyl tape and circular clamps.

Response growth is quite striking. One leader thickened and sprouted above the cable, the other below. All within the parameters of 'normal' for the species and age. No sign of 'karate' failures, though the cable is quite low, now. Tree may have been planted in 1834.

This traditional technology is underrecognised and underused. these 2 look to have a dozen more years left, half a century in all. Dieback from root abuse and old age sadly lessens contributions, but happily lessens risk. I still gave a bid on smaller ones higher up, but no sale. Scheduled reevaluation in January.

Bad fork would not likely benefit from extra movement, so dynamic would not fit the objective. Many cables do not need frequent inspections, or carry increased liability. A sorely underrecognised service for maintaining older trees, and the habitat within.

031.jpg.24da99b2ecf78f9d34daaa978bd397c0.jpg

010.jpg.c7fd0e2f81c0b835a8827fa3cc5a2294.jpg

019.jpg.7358b58f48e81ce85173dc5105118dfa.jpg

018.jpg.92bbc11665a4b371a34d590b0747c8e0.jpg

016.jpg.949f953508d812e3ebeab3b3de0feeef.jpg

Edited by treeseer

Overview phooey; 7 hours of strain, after bidding it at 4! O well made it up by side pruning a Liquidambar to free the driveway of the Dreaded Gumballs.

Petersburg, Illinois, US, the last on this list: Menard County Trails and Greenways

The list compiled mainly by a mentor of mine, Guy Sternberg, author of Native Trees for North American Landscapes from Timber Press He's been responsible for me spending dozens of hours volunteering on old trees, but also some paying work so no complaints.

In the SE US I'm used to many Aesculus sp. leaves looking poorly, or totally shed, by this time of the season, so I confess I did not diagnose the discoloration.

With through bolts; this was before through-cabling and end fasteners were developed.

Cool, I've seen a high number of failures in termination of steel bracing on Horse Chesnut where the bolts pull out.

We are looking into harnesses straps with steel cable as a static brace soloution at the moment over invasive for trees such as Horse Chesnut.

Cool, I've seen a high number of failures in termination of steel bracing on Horse Chesnut where the bolts pull out.

We are looking into harnesses straps with steel cable as a static brace soloution at the moment over invasive for trees such as Horse Chesnut.

Doesn't any strap compress the cambium? :001_huh:

The second cable that I proposed would require a 1/4" hole. Minimal invasion.

That's cool, like I have said before and I stand by it that I have seen plenty of aesculus and Quercus bolt bracing failures over the years , in the days before camera phones unfortunately so would not do it personally on this species...

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That's cool, like I have said before and I stand by it that I have seen plenty of aesculus and Quercus bolt bracing failures over the years , in the days before camera phones unfortunately so would not do it personally on this species... Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That's cool, like I have said before and I sit by it that I have seen plenty of failures of bad forks over the years. I would not refuse to install support where needed on any species.

To leave such a tree unsupported only to get a ring later on that it crushed a schoolbus full of toddlers might leave one open to suspicions of neglect, professional misconduct, etc. :blushing:

And like I have said before and I lay down and take a nap by it that I have seen plenty of failures due to bad pruning over the years, so maybe we should not prune either? :lol: