Question for Mr Coates ?

David Humphries

a golden oldie in terms of views, but one that has always stuck in my memory in terms of thinking outside the box to acheive a positive outcome for a tricky dismantle.

so Reg, 6 years down the line..........with the benfit of experience & hindsight, would you have done this job any different to how you approached it back then ???

not that it wasn't the best option for this particular tree, just intrigued to hear if you ever ponder on past jobs or just bag the experience & move on ?

a golden oldie in terms of views, but one that has always stuck in my memory in terms of thinking outside the box to acheive a positive outcome for a tricky dismantle.

so Reg, 6 years down the line..........with the benfit of experience & hindsight, would you have done this job any different to how you approached it back then ???

not that it wasn't the best option for this particular tree, just intrigued to hear if you ever ponder on past jobs or just bag the experience & move on ?

I didnt watch the video back, but i know what happens Dave. Lowering rings, or rounds as they called out here....there's not many other options, and they were up to 5 ft in parts....no drop-zone at all. You coulda bound together about 5,6 bails of straw over the paving I suppose, then quatered the logs up there before dropping them. But, as it turned out we didnt damage anything. We didntfeel the need to take a change in direction at any time, because it was getting the job done. I've never had to do it since mind.

Martwizz, I got the idea of eyebolts from another guy, but that particular way to rig the logs was my idea, yes. I had a couple days to think about it though.

Paolo Bavaresco told me about using eyebolts in that application many moons ago, and I used it once with great success zip lining big awkward rings off a tree with no drop zone. I inserted the eyebolts through the bark on opposite sides of the ring so that when slung the loading was shear across the bolts rather than relying just on the threads holding. I found some great bolts designed to self tap into brick, but they needed a pilot hole using a drill first.

Really effective technique on the right job, great video!

It is a GREAT video showing the puzzle solving that is done in the field."No drop zone" demands thinking outside the box as David said...Reg certainly gets the job done and that's what it's all about. Climber Georgio is also a Master puzzle solver.

I remember that thread, I imagine every climber has thought of gadgetry at some point, then send, stuff it and kept doing the same old same old. Not Reg, I would think he has spent many a night in his shed putting his thoughts into reality.

I've lost a few rings over the years dropping them onto brash or dumpy bags with sawdust, shoving them over the edge of the trunk cringing and preying it's not going to take off or ricochete into something expensive. Groundless poised like Joe Heart at a penalty shoot out, climber shouting RUN!!!!!!

Or maybe that's just me:)

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I didnt watch the video back, but i know what happens Dave. Lowering rings, or rounds as they called out here....there's not many other options, and they were up to 5 ft in parts....no drop-zone at all. You coulda bound together about 5,6 bails of straw over the paving I suppose, then quatered the logs up there before dropping them. But, as it turned out we didnt damage anything. We didntfeel the need to take a change in direction at any time, because it was getting the job done. I've never had to do it since mind.

Thanks Reg, appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Thought that you'd say there'd be nothing really different if you were faced with it again, but it's been on my mind to ask.

Can you remember whether the teeth of the block driver struggled on the white rot in that ash?

Do you get the opportunity to still use it?

Cheers

David

Boring through the stem with a 25" plus bar on spikes is creating a bigger risk imo, then trying to push a sling through that's thicker than the bore cut would need a pushing device like a measuring tape on steroids:)

Not saying it can't be done though or I've ever tried it and thrown a tantrum, nope not me :)

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk