what expectations do you have for your buisness.

Matthew Storrs

I expect there will be quite a variety in answers to this one. Do you hope to keep building your business (assuming the works there) to correspond with the workload ie keep gettimg bigger-more teams/machinery, perhaps even starting other businesses of the back of it , or have many of you got your business to where you want it and happy to just keep it small scale and perhaps more of a personal service?

The self employed thread got me thinking- a lot of answers seem to be they like the lifestyle it offers which perhaps would say that most are happy keeping their business small and perhaps less stressful.

I guess it depends if your motivated more by money or more of a 'lifestyler'!

I want it to be successful enough that my partner never has to worry about money and doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to and the kids (if were ever blessed) get well fed, good clothes and a nice holiday once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

As above, one in the oven due late June.

Plus I always want to operate with decent, recent kit and not hobble along from day to day worrying about where the next cheque is coming from.

I want to build this business to the point I can take a proper salary in more in line with the effort and money I have invested.

Another expectation I have already achieved is notoriety...

We have taken 140k this last year locally and that has not gone unnoticed by others in the business.

Ty

I would like to have some work booked in ahead of me. Able to provide for my family. Just wife atm but we both want kids in the future. Have good kit and a good crew. And have a motorbike for my days off. And congrats Ty on the forthcoming baby.

I would like to have some work booked in ahead of me. Able to provide for my family. Just wife atm but we both want kids in the future. Have good kit and a good crew. And have a motorbike for my days off. And congrats Ty on the forthcoming baby.

humble words Ian and a fair want list! I arrived back from travelling with£70 and built up everything I have with hard work and determination, charging a fair price and offering a trustworthy and honest job, you`ll be fine:thumbup:

humble words Ian and a fair want list! I arrived back from travelling with£70 and built up everything I have with hard work and determination, charging a fair price and offering a trustworthy and honest job, you`ll be fine:thumbup:

thank you delabodge. ive had my own business 16 months now and looking forward to the future.

I agree richy B. health is number 1,,,full stop, seconded by a happy and cheery workforce,,,desire to get up and do something you actually want to be doing,,(needless to say my family superceed all this), I love my yard /workshop and job and wish I had longer days,lol

I started up in business 16 years and 18 days ago. I was a life styler for the first 11 years. Worked hard and progressed steadily, if the weather was rough I could stay home, if I wanted time off, I took time off etc..

During the credit crunch of 2008 I decided to commit to ensuring a more secure income with a view to expanding and creating a company to be proud of.

Now it's full on flat out full bore. Every hour counts as the stakes get higher. I still cut and climb but management work gets in the way and many an hour is spent on paperwork, planning, quotes and staff etc..

I still love this job, good days and bad, I like hard work.

Essentially with expansion comes greater risk and greater sacrifice. A business is like a pet monster, manageable when it's small but the bigger it gets the more it takes to maintain and you daren't turn your back on it for a minute.

Financial rewards? It's can be hard to tell sometimes, just keep chasing that carrot....