Felled tree converted to logs in situ - effect on cost?

Sylvia

Question

If I have to get a quote for felling a large beech - [waiting for T.O. decision ] -

I'd like some of it as logs to sit and season - ie tree comes down - aborist chops it in situ on garden to be stacked by us later/.......over next year.......

- logging stops if/when space runs out - arborist removes ?brash/rest - will that be a less attractive/longer job for the arborist and fewer logs to flog?= higher quote price for me - or is it a better deal for an arborist not to have to truck away all wood and will that be cheaper for me?

Is there any point getting 3 quotes?

PS

T.O. says I should ask to see arborist insurance certs before accepting a quote - are they something arborists carry around when quoting on jobs?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If I have to get a quote for felling a large beech - [waiting for T.O. decision ] -

I'd like some of it as logs to sit and season - ie tree comes down - aborist chops it in situ on garden to be stacked by us later/.......over next year.......

- logging stops if/when space runs out - arborist removes ?brash/rest - will that be a less attractive/longer job for the arborist and fewer logs to flog?= higher quote price for me - or is it a better deal for an arborist not to have to truck away all wood and will that be cheaper for me?

Is there any point getting 3 quotes?

PS

T.O. says I should ask to see arborist insurance certs before accepting a quote - are they something arborists carry around when quoting on jobs?

Always always get more than one quote that way you can see if your getting a good deal. if you have the room I'd get as many logs as possible will always save money and time in the long run.

If your concerned on money why not get Arborist to drop tree and disc up big bits and cut the rest yourself. :001_smile:

Might well be cheaper for you if you keep the timber, especially if it is a distance from tree to truck.

Get a few quotes, & do make sure insurances are in place, either by checking the paper copy, or as a lot of these documents are now in PDF format, via email.

Whilst there may be room to fell the tree, bear in mind an arborist may wish to climb & dismantle part of the tree at least to prevent ground damage, & facilitate the fell direction.This is something to consider when getting your quotes, as it can affect price, & value for money from your perspective.

bear in mind the guys may want to dismantle in large penny type pieces or stem trunk pieces of 3-4 foot addituonal cutting into 8" lengths may take more time and then when got large discs are you going to axe them into log form as that would be a job.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

What I don't really get is whether the arborist's quote takes into account him/her also getting the value if any of the timber - eg arborist fells tree - gets timber worth say £50 [no idea] so quote to customer is £50 less than it will be if I want to keep the timber - is that how it works?

Or is a felled tree more or less without any monetary value?

If you had the choice you wouldn't remove the timber?

even if a tree surgeon takes the wood away it has to be reflected in cost of removal. eg fuel time loading unloading. so doubt if you will get any reduction. as other posts ask someone from this site to give you a quote just to drop and cut up or dismantle and cut up and you keep timber. if you want brash chipped then added cost for time chipping brash. takes time chipping brash . so if you can burn on site then maybe less if they just drop it for you and you do the hard work clearing brash and cutting up tre in to log size.

to be honest we never knock value of timber off tree quotes as;

it costs money to stack in manageable bits for customer easier to clear up and take back to yard

timber as firewood only has its value once you spend time and money cutting and splitting storing and stacking

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

I never knock money off for leaving the timber I add money on if its a long way to y he truck etc and add money on for logging up etc your tree has no value as firewood until its processed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

If I could leave all the wood in big lumps it would be cheaper

Or even better leave it all in 1 lump still stood up haha

Tbh not a lot of money in wood

I would happily take it away but the cost of loading it on to my truck and then delivering it to someone for let's say £50

Save my back save diesel save £50

To take it. Back to yard again

Store it for a yr

Chop it all up

Load it back on

For let's say £100

That's really £50 per move and personally I am not that interested