12 week tree surgery course at plumpton

Farrant92

The 12 Week course at Plumpton is really good. Gives you a good step into the tree work industry. You will find you will get your knowledge of trees when you start working as there isn't enough time for them to teach you that side of thing. But as for the practical side it is really good and the staff (when I was there) know what there doing and will always help you if your not sure on things. I was a newbie to the whole thing, hadn't used a chainsaw when I started. Had done rock climbing but never tree climbing and they made it very easy to learn all you need to know to get started. It is also a very fun course to do.

Ross.

There is no guarantee that you will pass all your tickets. It will all depend on how quick you learn. If you have even a little bit of experience/knowledge with climbing or a very basic knowledge of how a chainsaw/engine works it will help. They give you a big A4 wad of paper with everything you need to know to pass your tickets at the start of the course so use that as your bedtime reading. They do your assessments as you progress through the 12weeks, its not all at the end. So you can concentrate on each module for the assessment day. Out of the 25-30 people on my course, only about 2-3 guys didn't pass each assessment. Also if you don't pass one of them I think you can retake it again whilst on the course.

Ross.

• 2 weeks later...

Im doing the FdSc in Arb at Plumpton at the moment. We see a lot of the 12 weekers, and they all say its really good. The staff are knowledgable, and there seems to be a high pass rate. As im still doing my tickets (CS31 at the moment) i can honestly tell you as long as you pay attention and practise you should be fine. Just remember Safety, safety, safety for the assessments.

Another option if you want to get your tickets in the industry is Scott Fraser Treework training. You will be able to do them sooner than september plus after you passed he will take you on for days in exchange for knowledge and experience. so for those will very little you will learn ALOT.. best weeks ever when i did mine there ( :D haha good time) Plus after you have your basic tickets he can teach you more like Pruning courses so you know what , where, when and how to prune in the right ways so you dont go hacking customers trees thinking your "pruning" them haha. check it out here

Tree Surgery Training Sussex & Kent | Chainsaw Training Courses Sussex & Kent | Approved by Lantra & NPTC

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Scott Fraser is a fantastic choice as an instructor.

I had been cutting for years and decided to do a refresher CS31/32 as I run my own small business and wanted to stay current and up to date ( did my tickets in 1996 ) at Reaseheath, Nantwich.

He still managed to show me some new techniques and ironed out some minor bad habits that I had picked up along the way.

The site he uses is also great as it is mixed age hard/softwood, very realistic preparation for the real world, and the site your cutting on is also where you do your assessments.