Value of softwood cord

sjs5060

Hi, I'm dropping softwood trees next week, all processor size. What should I be charging for it? Was thinking of charging per m3 as there's no weighing facility on site and a few log men wanna collect themselves.

Any idea appreciated.

Thanks ste

Normal to market softwood in m3 imo, I know up country they do it on tonnage still.

Roadside £ depends on the product, log / chip / fencing ...

Standing price (m3)+Cutter cost (m3)+ Extraction Cost (m3) + profit = Roadside price in m3.

Obviously the standing price can be a bit mis leading as a 1m3 tree will have some much more valuable stuff in that firewood/chip so you need work out preportion of logs/pallet/strainers/chip/pulp etc.

So if you got the stand for free and you cut 12m3 a day and your cutter cost you 150 quid thats £12.50 pr m3 to cut it. Forwarding say cost £5 a m3 then you want to make a tenner a m3 that is £27.50m3 per m3 roadside.

The other thing is if people are taking wood themselves on volume basis. Make sure your both happy with the stack volume. If you think it's 20m3 on your landing and it's 15m3 in their yard then there is a lot of negotiating to do. If you have several people buying stack it separately if you have the space.

Normal to market softwood in m3 imo, I know up country they do it on tonnage still.

Sell everything by the m3 here. You can do it off the stack that way and off the forwarder too. Everybody knows what there getting too.

Should have said if it's all processor size, firewood = £28/m3 ish. Down here chip and firewood is easier to cut than fencing and firewood same roadside price anyway.

Thanks for you replies lads, when selling by the m3 do you sell by the size of the actual stack or do you use the formula to get the actual meterage of timber without air gaps?

Also if anyone is interested in taking some timber let me know, I have plenty to go at and may cut for a couple of weeks. If you let me know before hand I can cut to whatever length you want, I can also deliver if your not to far away.

Thanks, ste

Thanks for you replies lads, when selling by the m3 do you sell by the size of the actual stack or do you use the formula to get the actual meterage of timber without air gaps?

Also if anyone is interested in taking some timber let me know, I have plenty to go at and may cut for a couple of weeks. If you let me know before hand I can cut to whatever length you want, I can also deliver if your not to far away.

Thanks, ste

I have been running timber over the weighbridge and the stacked volume of hardwood on the truck seems to weigh about half of its volume. ie 50 cubic meters of oak in the bolsters goes about 25 ton which would indicate 50% air space.

Bob

I have been running timber over the weighbridge and the stacked volume of hardwood on the truck seems to weigh about half of its volume. ie 50 cubic meters of oak in the bolsters goes about 25 ton which would indicate 50% air space.

Bob

That is the accepted formula providing timber is relatively straight

That is the accepted formula providing timber is relatively straight

No it's not sorry. Blue book (FC mensuration handbook) which is accepted norm is 0.7 for softwood and 0.55 for hardwood. A softwood stack occupying 100m3 will thus be 70m3 in timber allowing for air gap. Unless the timber is proper bananas the 0.7 is applied. Wiggly hardwood obviously = the 0.55. It has been known to sell hardwood on 0.55 and beautiful straight ash and sycamore turns up - that works very nicley in your favour.