windsor semi chisel chain

case mx270

Only used Windsor harvester chain. IT was ok with the power of the motor on a harvester chain quality doesn't matter.

I use Oregon chain for all my saws. 21 bpx for the smaller ones and now i've found out that chainsaw bars do 3/8 semi chisel i'll be getting some for bigger saws.

Windsor chains are shockingly bad. The chisels are ok but I have never had the chance to see how they are after a few sharpenings because by then the tie straps have stretched and broken.

I use them in one sitution only; when I know there is a 50:50 chance of hitting metal inside a butt. When new they will get through a nail or piece of fence wire. Then you can bin them and put on a real chain.

I really don't mind the windsor bars and chains. We've been using a mix of Windsor full and semi chisel .325 in 050 and 058 on 13" windsor roll top bars for about 18 months on the 242's with no problems at all. The 050 pings off easily but I find even the Oregon ones do when snedding/clearing whippy stuff.

The chains maybe aren't as nice as the newer style Oregon stuff, but are loads better than the Carlton ones and it cuts well.

I reckon the bars are as good as Oregon too, including the 18" replacable nose one that's been on the 066 for a while too.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Maybe I have been a little harsh. In controlled situationsmaybe they are OK, but on a dirty site and pushing the saws as you do on a commercial job the Windsors snap like knicker-elastic.I should perhaps be retensioning new chains every 20 minutes, but frankly who has the time to do that?

Windsor chain is no longer available, so whatever is left in the marketplace is the last of it.

I note that our 73DP has been noticed a semi chisel chain with the ability to keep its edge longer due to the curve on the working corner, this also is more forgiving when filed a little inaccurate. Speeds are slightly slower than LPX full chisel but overall speed will be higher as it stays sharp longer, 3/8 058 or 1.5mm chain available from all Oregon stockists give a loop a try to see.

Oregon and Carlton are both brands owned and manufactured by Blount [as was Windsor before it was closed]

Maybe I have been a little harsh. In controlled situationsmaybe they are OK, but on a dirty site and pushing the saws as you do on a commercial job the Windsors snap like knicker-elastic.I should perhaps be retensioning new chains every 20 minutes, but frankly who has the time to do that?

Can only think you must have had a batch of bad ones as we've yet to snap one, whether out in the woods, scrub clearing or on arb :confused1: