Quadchip on round blades?

sihart100

im taking delivery of my brand new quadchip chipper next week, when i ordered it the dealer gave me the choice or round or square blades, i went for square blades as thats what the demo machine had on it when i used it.

But just wondering if anybody runs theres on round blades yet and if so does it perform as good a with square blades? and what is the chip quality like?

Some folk prefer flat edged blades, some prefer round. I had two GreenMech machines in the 1990's with round blades and I never had to buy any spares in the total period of ownership (5 years). Some say that flat edged blades give a slightly more aesthetically pleasing chip, but when you are reducing a volume of green stuff, does the odd different sized lump matter? Round blades are so much cheaper to buy as well, they also have the ability to take so much more abuse....How many people have had a flat blade shatter and come out the side of the chamber after scrapping the shear bars? Round blades tend to stay in place (apart from a chunk) until the bolt is undone. Ask the boys who do railwork about consequential damages!?!

We offer both because we realise that customers might prefer one over the other and why should we deny the owners their choice.....

Edited by PeteB

Due to past experience I wouldn't buy or hire a chipper if it had round blades......to much down time in the past cost me a fortune!!

^

Sorry but your wrong... You must have been chipping some right crap to damage round blades, they last longer are cheaper and easier to change and set than any other machine I've ever owned or used in 25 years, from sasmo worm drives to present!

The quad blades as far as I can see look quicker to change than the discs and seem to produce a more uniformed chip :-)

^

Sorry but your wrong...

:lol: Bit sweeping isn't it?! Well, I think you're wrong!!! :lol:

Not a fan of disc blades tbh; chip quality is deffo lower as you say. Personally I think (and think I know) that GM are like politicians re disc blades; they know it was bad policy but are sworn never to admit it and thus continue to back them up, giving the impression they really do believe in them. There's a firm round ere that have a fleet of GMs with disc knives - the machines spend more time having crap cleared out of them than chipping Mrs Jones rose bush.

Yes probably a bit sweeping... Sorry to have offended you :-)

In my experience it was ridiculous hard to block our disc bladed machines. I did find that the bigger hp engines were key though.

Perhaps we were not a bunch of ham fisted clowns ;-)

no offence taken at all bud, didn't mean to sound offended soz.

ham fisted clown. hmmm :laugh1:

im on square blades at the moment on the quad chip but round on my 220, when square are blunt i will go to round blades, there quiter in use by a mile, dont dull as quickly and last miles longer. who gives a monkey about "chip quality" my chip goes for pig bedding and they done seem to mind!!!!!!

Oh and i have never had any down time due to having round blades!

Some early GM220 chippers had too big a gap between the ends of the fly wheel discharge paddles and the fly wheel housing. We used to check this by sticking an old speaker magnet to the paddles and rotating the flywheel by hand. From memory the gap should be 5-8mm. If it exceeds this cut 3 identical pieces of 10mm x50 mm flat steel bar so that the balance is unaffected and weld onto the ends of the flywheel paddles to reduce the clearance to a more acceptable gap. This will work wonders for discharge and reducing blockages.