Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Video forum Post your tree work videos here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-12   #1 (permalink)

side weighted elm drop

had some fun with this cut... hope you all enjoy the video..

Cheers!
Old 05-07-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012

Re: side weighted elm drop

Nicely done, elms good to steer.

Nipped the nose of your bar though.

www.eastridingarborists.co.uk
Old 05-07-12   #3 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Daniel, cutting a deep gob like that does not significantly alter the center of gravity. Cutting it as deep as it was there, in stead of say 1/3 in, altered COG only 4 or 5 inches. Given the canopy(and COG) of the tree was yards behind the hinge, there was little if not no need to cut so deep.

One advantage of a deeper than normal gob, would be to acheive a wider hinge therfore giving more control. In this case however, the hinge was cut through by approximately 25% of its width, therefore eliminating the advantage of the wider hinge in my opinion.

As a result (as Big Ammer points out) cutting through the hinge at one side, to acheive the angled hinge, trapped the nose of the bar as it was within the closing face of the hinge. Given the extra risks involved with trapping the saw, and the posioning of the cutter as a result, incurred extra risk that was uncalled for.

Why was such a fancy cut needed when all the failsafe lines were in place, wouldn't a straight forward hinge have been just as effective, but much safer?

Or better still, why wasnt the house side of the canopy removed(like the near side) while the bucket was in place? This would have reduced any risk to a minimum, surely?

Eat all, drink all, pay nowt, and if ever tha does owt for nowt, allus do it for the sen.
Old 06-07-12   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 stoner View Post
Daniel, cutting a deep gob like that does not significantly alter the center of gravity. Cutting it as deep as it was there, in stead of say 1/3 in, altered COG only 4 or 5 inches. Given the canopy(and COG) of the tree was yards behind the hinge, there was little if not no need to cut so deep.

One advantage of a deeper than normal gob, would be to acheive a wider hinge therfore giving more control. In this case however, the hinge was cut through by approximately 25% of its width, therefore eliminating the advantage of the wider hinge in my opinion.

As a result (as Big Ammer points out) cutting through the hinge at one side, to acheive the angled hinge, trapped the nose of the bar as it was within the closing face of the hinge. Given the extra risks involved with trapping the saw, and the posioning of the cutter as a result, incurred extra risk that was uncalled for.

Why was such a fancy cut needed when all the failsafe lines were in place, wouldn't a straight forward hinge have been just as effective, but much safer?

Or better still, why wasnt the house side of the canopy removed(like the near side) while the bucket was in place? This would have reduced any risk to a minimum, surely?
Those are actually good points of concern (for a change LOL)...
The answers are somewhat complicated... not sure if you really want to know... A lot of people will look at a video like that and say with all that set up you could have just used the bucket and rigged out that weight over the house.. Not really true.. While one or two people (mostyl just one) were setting up the rigging, other crew members were able to go about cleaning up the existing mess.. Also the log loader was on site and waiting, which is not only costly, but wastes his time.. so putting the tree on the ground as fast as possible was important.. let him take the logs and the clean up can be done later.. as was the case with my time. I had another job to get to.. once the trees were down, I was free to go..

A straight hinge may have worked, BUT NO WAY was I about to find out.. the retainer line was tied to a big limb stub ... BUT that stub was being torques sideways, making it much weaker... So the point of failure was unknown and I would have liked to have a lot more tension on the retainer line..

You can say the depth of the notch was only a matter of a few inches, and try to dismiss that, but how do you really know what difference that makes? I believe in throwing everything to the fallers advantage.. big 3120 husky w/ 36" bar made that notch quick and easy... More importantly was the added length to the hinge, allowing the lean side to be removed and still having quite a bit of length on the tension side.. That's just common sense...

And yes the bar nose did get pinched, which was more of a safety issue for the bar than me... If I felt at all threatened I would have left the saw and run! All the lean was away from me and nothing over my head at risk of falling.... I was happy the bar as undamaged... could have been worse.. a good (free) lesson to learn..

I still need to think about how that could have been done differently.. I wasn't happy with the communication with the skid op.. I'll have to talk to him about exactly what happened on his end.. It might have been better to preform the hinge with a bore cut and then step back and call for the pull, which I do on the vast majority of falls..

Hope that all makes sense..
Old 06-07-12   #5 (permalink)

18 stoner

dont concern yourself with these vids too much, it's not really treework, it's just dadio treating his client's properties as adventure playgrounds for his skidsteer elasto rope re-direct bungee experiments.
Old 06-07-12   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotspine1 View Post
18 stoner

dont concern yourself with these vids too much, it's not really treework, it's just dadio treating his client's properties as adventure playgrounds for his skidsteer elasto rope re-direct bungee experiments.
No harm in enjoying your work and a skidsteer beats dragging it out by hand.

Sometimes the only way to see if somethings going to work is to have a go at it.

Tree's on the deck, they all got paid and went on to the next job.

Happy days.

Most people would have tackled that tree differently.

I like to see how others do things and its good to discuss the merits and faults of their techniques.

www.eastridingarborists.co.uk
Old 06-07-12   #7 (permalink)

Nothing wrong there except the weather. It's better than ours
Old 06-07-12   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Good work as usual Dadio. Whilst i do not agree with everything that you do, you do put forward a good arguments/ discussion about felling and climbing. This gets everyone talking which can only be a good thing
Keep them comming.

https://www.facebook.com/treesolutio...are?ref=stream
Old 07-07-12   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slack ma girdle View Post
Good work as usual Dadio. Whilst i do not agree with everything that you do, you do put forward a good arguments/ discussion about felling and climbing. This gets everyone talking which can only be a good thing
Keep them comming.
Glad you noticed... Its nice to get people thinking a little... even if it is just to say how much they dislike me! LOL
Old 07-07-12   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
Glad you noticed... Its nice to get people thinking a little... even if it is just to say how much they dislike me! LOL
You will get some who express their distaste at your work,thats going to happen anywhere & unless its reasoned it is to be taken with a pinch of salt,thats the down side of having the 'temerity' to show ideas in an effort generate good discussion.
I myself on occasion use an angled hinge & find it effective on side leaners & in a situation where wind can be a factor.