Taking the top

Nick Waring

Just a wee video of me taking out a top. Was my first time spiking up a tree and doing this :001_smile:. had a bit of disco leg to start off with :blushing:, but i soon settled in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLXcAoB8GU]YouTube - Taking the top out[/ame]

and then the last cut. Left it standing at 25-30ft just above the huge split.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1fLw3CyFaE]YouTube - The last cut[/ame]

A few pics below aswell, 2 showing why it came down

DSCF0258.jpg.a7645fae1dd67b9e105166334e8a1b1d.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg.5341ae8f9177a775be6f36f89987bb49.jpg

DSCF0247.jpg.7158ed1445679f243b43ed73c4f0eaef.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg.543183404997088b89343c111347fb29.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That worries me that you were asked to do that for your first time.

That split and the anticipation of recoil would have had me cacking me pants.

Others will disagree but I would have done smaller bits to lessen the recoil, and even thought about high point in another tree. Well done anyway, but don't allow peer pressure to force you do do things against your better judgement. Its your butt mate.

guts are one thing but if that went wrong you had no get out of jail card there nick, ratchet strapped would of made the world of diference and coming off the nieghbouting tree with your strop chokered would of been the way to go on that one, or just fell it, but i reckon thats the only one you were aloud to play in.

well done for getting up there and getting the job done mate , but i really do think that not having a line in another tree and felling a section that large when only anchored in that tree was utterly foolish , the experienced guys on site should have carried out a tree hazard assessment prior to you climbing it , to put it plainly , if you had caused the tree to colapse and we seriously injured or even worse then the HSE woud have been informed and the first question asked would be ....... whay was a mewp not used and why was an inexperienced climber sent up there to do the work ??? . having seen first hand the aftermath of something that serious i can ssure you its not plesent .

This aint a rant at you but i am very very supprised at the team of guys you work with .

Good job!!!!!!!!

I reckon that split looks way worse on the pic's that it really was, we can only see one side.

Also its clearly an historic split that has stood for years.

Anchoring to another tree is good, but if you do that you must NOT then strop to the knackered one, because if it does fail you will become the jam in a harness sandwich!!!

Good job!!!!!!!!

I reckon that split looks way worse on the pic's that it really was, we can only see one side.

Also its clearly an historic split that has stood for years.

Yeah, the split does look worse than it is. there was plenty of wood round the other side.

Anchoring to another tree is good, but if you do that you must NOT then strop to the knackered one, because if it does fail you will become the jam in a harness sandwich!!!

thats what crossed my mind when i took the top out.

I will take all the advice on board though.

Well that took guts!Ratchet strap would have deffo been on it if I was going up there,and probably from adjacent tree for anchor.

Having said that I have'nt seen the tree from all sides,and hat off to you for doing it!

remember we are in the ideal world here dave, chokered is better than on your d's, if the other tree is close enough then fair enough a bit of a stretch might be the best way, if its that far away yo take the risk of coming off the stem by mistake and losing control of the cut and swinging about with a saw but chokered and a quick bit of undoing if need be is in order, the secret to that type of topping out is dont let the hinge hold on too long, get it going the right way and then cut through it, you dont want any more stress on that rip.

Apart from that Nick, you have proved you have the bottle, as long as you knew the ins and outs, and werent just cutting and hoping for the best, because i have never done that:blushing::thumbup1: