This would be a shame!

Steve Bullman

Council order pensioner, 89, to cut back 'dangerous' yew hedge he has lovingly tended for 40 years 'because of health and safety' | Daily Mail Online

Council bosses have ordered an 89-year-old pensioner to trim his 110-yard long historic hedge back to stumps over health and safety fears - because it overhangs a footpath.

Roy Dowson has been ordered to trim the 140-year-old yew bush, which is 8ft high, after pedestrians complained there isn't room to walk along the pavement.

Officials from Lincolnshire County Council's highways department visited his home in the sleepy village of Burton, Lincolnshire, on Tuesday and ordered Mr Dowson to chop back the hedgerow by February 24.

309F448700000578-3418976-Lincolnshire_County_Council_s_highways_department_visited_his_ho-a-12_1453899485144.jpg

Roy Dowson has been ordered to trim the 140-year-old yew bush, which is 8.2ft high, after pedestrians complained there isn't room to walk along the pavement

309F43B200000578-3418976-Roy_Dowson_has_been_ordered_to_trim_the_140_year_old_yew_bush_wh-a-9_1453899485140.jpg

Lincolnshire County Council's highways department visited his home in the sleepy village of Burton-by-Lincoln, Lincolnshire, on Tuesday and ordered Mr Dowson (pictured) to chop back the hedgerow by February 24

But the pensioner, who has the hedge trimmed every year, says cutting it back level with the wall would completely ruin his pride and joy.

Mr Dowson, who owns a construction firm, said: 'The council have ordered me to cut the hedge back to 2ft, level with the wall and if I do that it will absolutely wreck it.

'I've been at the property for 40 years and the hedge was planted in 1880 as part of the Burton estate.

'I have the hedge trimmed every year and I think they're making a mountain out of a molehill.

'I think they have gone a bit too far making us cut it back all the way to the wall. It only over hangs the footpath by a matter of inches and if someone my age can walk by it without a problem then I don't see what the fuss is.

'I've been here 40 years and never had a problem and somebody else lived here 40 years before me without an issue. We don't know who complained because it was anonymous but it is just health and safety gone mad.

'I pay contractors to trim it every year and keep it nice and tidy and it is an important part of the village's history. I don't want it to be trimmed back but I have no choice as they have given me a court order.

'If I don't cut it back then they will come and do it themselves and give me the bill. It will cost me thousands of pounds to pay somebody to cut it back to the wall because it is 100 metres long. It will be ruined being cut back that far and I don't even know if it will ever grow back the same again.'

His daughter, Heather Dowson, from Canwick, Lincolnshire, added: 'The hedge overhangs the footpath by about a third and we think some anonymous villagers have complained that two people cannot walk side by side, but you can still do so.

'Yew is very slow growing and it will take a while to look any good if it's cut down.'

309F9D8300000578-3418976-The_red_border_shows_the_extent_of_the_hedge_which_the_council_s-a-10_1453899485141.jpg

The red border shows the extent of the hedge, which the council says obscures two blind bends, presenting a risk to the safety of pedestrians

309F43B600000578-3418976-image-a-11_1453899485142.jpg

The pensioner, who has the hedge trimmed every year, says cutting it back level with the wall would completely ruin his pride and joy

The historic hedge was planted in 1880 and is a well-known feature of the sleepy village of Burton-by-Lincoln, which features in the Domesday Book.

Councillor John Copeland, who sits on Burton-by-Lincoln Parish Council, is also supporting Mr Dowson and said cutting back the popular bush would be 'environmental vandalism'.

He added: 'You can easily walk along the path and this hedge is a lovely feature of the village that should be looked after.

'We tried to put our compromise saying that a few of the more overhanging parts could be cut back but they totally rejected our argument and the whole width of the hedge has to be cut right back level with the wall.

'The hedge is a prominent feature of the village and this is health and safety gone mad that will result in act of environmental vandalism.'

309F437C00000578-3418976-The_historic_hedge_was_planted_in_1880_and_is_a_well_known_featu-a-13_1453899485145.jpg

The historic hedge was planted in 1880 and is a well-known feature of the sleepy village of Burton-by-Lincoln, which features in the Domesday Book

Lib Dem Councillor David Cotton, who represents the village on West Lindsey District Council, added: 'Cutting this hedge will alter the whole way Burton is perceived.

'I've been a councillor for 16 years and this has never been raised as an issue in all that time and I certainly support its retention.'

But Lincolnshire County Council yesterday defended the decision and said the hedge was putting people at 'risk from passing traffic'.

Paul Little, Highways Network Manager North, added: 'We have had to ask a resident in Burton to cut the yew hedge back outside his property to ensure the safety of pedestrians wishing to use the pavement.

'The hedge is encroaching over half of the pavement width in some places, and we've received several complaints from pedestrians who have been forced to walk in the road in between two blind bends, particularly if two people need to pass each other.

'This is clearly putting them at unnecessary risk from passing traffic.'

Edited by Steve Bullman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people! There's loads of room on that path. :thumbdown:

Its ridiculous.

'The hedge is encroaching over half of the pavement width in some places, and we've received several complaints from pedestrians who have been forced to walk in the road in between two blind bends, particularly if two people need to pass each other.

Heaven forbid they have to use their common sense in such a scenario as to avoid walking on the road.