Rebuilding two stroke engines

jamesd

I have a few stihl long handle hedge cutters and strimmers that i am thinking of stripping down and hopefully rebuilding if they are not to far gone. But I have been looking for a "how to" of stripping them down and can't find a decent one anyone got a link or something that shows it step by step?

TBH, I very rarely have felt the need to consult a service manual apart from tolerence info or for removal of parts where it isn't obvious how it comes apart.

Usually I use aerosol caps to store the screws and then take each cover off storing each covers screws in one aerosol cap.

Pull the muffler and remove the carb and then off with the cylinder etc

It is how you learn...........or cock it up and send it in a box of bits to someone like me who has to fathom out what goes where:lol:

TBH, I very rarely have felt the need to consult a service manual apart from tolerence info or for removal of parts where it isn't obvious how it comes apart.

Usually I use aerosol caps to store the screws and then take each cover off storing each covers screws in one aerosol cap.

Pull the muffler and remove the carb and then off with the cylinder etc

It is how you learn...........or cock it up and send it in a box of bits to someone like me who has to fathom out what goes where:lol:

Ok thanks for that how do you take the flywheel off though?

Ok thanks for that how do you take the flywheel off though?

Depends - some Stihl saws have a threaded boss that allows for a screw in puller to be used. Most strimmers wont have this so a legged puller should do the trick - when under a fair tension, give the end of the puller top end a whack with a hammer and it should pop off.

Sometimes tapping a big screwdriver in behind the flywheel and whacking the crank end with a hard mallet will pop it off. make sure you don't whack it in too heavily as you don't want to bruise the alloy.

Before you do this - you need to remove the flywheel nut - you will need to lock the flywheel in place and this can be done with one of those double ended Stihl piston stops or using thick recoil rope pushed in to the spark plug hole but make sure the rope doesn't come out of the exhaust port!

Easy:thumbup:

I may be stating the obvious but diagnosing the problem is probably more important.Often very little stripping is needed or desirable.What I'm trying to say is tearing down a broken tool and putting it back together again isn't fixing it. Learning and reading about symptoms is the start and I'm with Harry- youtube is inexhaustible and constantly refreshed (bit like the geezer in the post above 👍)

I may be stating the obvious but diagnosing the problem is probably more important.Often very little stripping is needed or desirable.What I'm trying to say is tearing down a broken tool and putting it back together again isn't fixing it. Learning and reading about symptoms is the start and I'm with Harry- youtube is inexhaustible and constantly refreshed (bit like the geezer in the post above 👍)

Sounds about right, most faults are fuel related, lots of piston seizures and wear, some crank seals and rubber parts and a few crank and bearing issues.

Fault diagnosis is the real skill - being able to sniff out the fault like Sherlock Holmes - thats the real skill:thumbup::thumbup: