ms260 clutch question

coneycatcher

hello newbie here from county Durham looking forward to reading the forums learning as i go .

my question is i have a ms260 i have just had the main bearing done and couple bits and peices , i used it for the first time the other day and under load (cutting ) it seems to stop not cut i have to back off then go in again if this makes sense , it seems like it has no guts to go ,i am after knowong is it possible the clutch/spring is worn not giving it guts or something else . thanks in advance of any help .

rob

i only own the two saws one is a husky 55 and now this stihl ms 260 i wanted to go to try the dark side at the mo i love my husky but i am open to persuasion/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks stubby and saw troll for replies

it seems as tho when cutting it does not have the grunt to carry on through ,the log just stops the chain if any pressure is applied however much its revved , lift it slighty allowing the revs to carry on and chain spinning then carry on.

is it worth checking on the fuel side , i know it has had new head and piston and i had work done on the main bearings so i was hoping all would be well, side by side my husky seems like it has more go . hope this helps to point and answer in my direction thanks again

rob

So it revs up fine and when the chain touches a log the chain just stops and the engine still revs fine? If so whats the condition of the spur sprocket, ive seen them worn through so the chain just slips round when not in the cut and when in the cut the sprocket slips round the chain.

hi ray yes revs fine cuts ok but when any pressure apllied stops the chain mid log ,like a car clutch on slipping noise and no go . that's what makes me think clutch wise but my saw mechanics is not that knowledgeable .

thanks for replying

rob

So what you are saying is that with the saw going flat out, when it hits the wood, the revs stay high but the chain stops spinning.

If that is so, it sounds like the clutch is worn or tight and not making good contact with the clutch drum.

If the saws revs plummet and bog down when the chain hits the wood then it sounds more like fuel or compression issue!

thanks spudulike it seems that the clutch is not making proper contact with the drum as the revs still stay up and the chain stops , i will have a look at the clutch on me bench ( i seen the you tube video for clutch removal ) i think i will pay good attention to the starter cord piston stop reading the forum this could be an issue, but i dont think it will be tight as i had it in recently to have the main bearings done so could still be not too tight.

thanks again for taking time to reply.:thumbup1:

rob

hi ray yes revs fine cuts ok but when any pressure apllied stops the chain mid log ,like a car clutch on slipping noise and no go . that's what makes me think clutch wise but my saw mechanics is not that knowledgeable .

thanks for replying

rob

OK, if the rpm are staying up, it surely sounds like a clutch or drive issue.

There are a few different possibilities, so we need some pictures of the clutch shoes/springs + both sides of the drum, the drive sprocket, and the chain. It could also be that the drive sprocket is the wrong size, so take a picture with the rim in position on the drum.

thanks spudulike it seems that the clutch is not making proper contact with the drum as the revs still stay up and the chain stops , i will have a look at the clutch on me bench ( i seen the you tube video for clutch removal ) i think i will pay good attention to the starter cord piston stop reading the forum this could be an issue, but i dont think it will be tight as i had it in recently to have the main bearings done so could still be not too tight.

thanks again for taking time to reply.:thumbup1:

rob

Taking the clutch off a MS260 is pretty easy, the Stihl plastic double ended stop is good and the clutch has a hex nut on the end so spins off well - remember it is clockwise to undo!!

Just thinking, you have located the chain on the rim drive correctly - if it is to one side, you could get this effect!