Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Utility Arboriculture Discuss utility arb, techniques and equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-08   #1 (permalink)

Ua1 Ground worker

Any one done this coarse, im in the middle of doing mine, was only 2 days but thought it needed to be longer really. Alot to take in in just 2 days.

Think the 1 brain cell that i did have is now just mush floating. ha.

anyway, anybody got any good ways to memorise info?
Old 29-08-08   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian150482 View Post
Any one done this coarse, im in the middle of doing mine, was only 2 days but thought it needed to be longer really. Alot to take in in just 2 days.

Associations that mean something to you and trigger your memory to the information can be helpful. Repetition, verbally as well as written, is useful for more rote info. Pictures work well for some, whether conjuring one in the mind or on paper. Break up studying, as generally people can only concentrate for something like 10-20 minutes. Make it interesting if you can. Highlighting key points to trigger memory cuts down on having to learn word for word. Understanding the meaning/implications of the information can also be helpful.

Get someone to test you, when you are ready. Try not to fret whilst recalling info, as sometimes the more uptight one is the harder it can be to recall.
Old 29-08-08   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian150482 View Post

What was the name of the instructor, the guy who took me for my ae units had a course book for the said units, but i am afraid it was many moons ago.
Old 29-08-08   #4 (permalink)
arc

I wouldn't worry too much about it, my and all our staff assessemnts were verbal, the examiner will extract the info from yu even it it takes all day. Make up some post card size falsh cards with all the things you need to remember, eg meaning of proximity zone, vicinity zone, distances fo safe working etc, then just look through the flash cards before you go into the exam and it will all be fresh in your head. It worked for me and I'm terrible for revising.
Old 29-08-08   #5 (permalink)

Thats a good idea Arc, never thought of that. im better with practical stuff, terrible with written work. Got my other units after this one.

His first name was Ian, coarse was in Cannock, Stafford at Base.