Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Utility Arboriculture Discuss utility arb, techniques and equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-11   #1 (permalink)
RTP

What's your opinion

Hi

I am looking for the opinions of those working directly with the removal of vegetation from overhead lines.

Would appreciate if you can watch this short video
http://www.

youtube.com/watch?v=pOT-Sr5KzsE
and give your comments !!!

Thanks
Old 05-05-11   #2 (permalink)
Ben
Senior Member, User formerly known as Ficus

Re: What's your opinion

Would it work on hardwoods just the same?
Old 05-05-11   #3 (permalink)

Looks pretty cool, but in all honesty, I can't see it taking off. All of the trees in the video could have been done with a chainsaw and ropes, and in 4 years of cutting utilities I have yet to come across a tree that couldn't be done safely with chainsaws and ropes. The level of training a network operator would demand, and the cost of the device itself I can't help but think will prohibit it's use in the real world, which is a shame because I'd love a go.
Old 05-05-11   #4 (permalink)
RTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Would it work on hardwoods just the same?
Hi Ben
Works on hardwood but all depend on the diameter.
The unit comes in 2 sizes upto 35cm diameter but if a larger diameter is required you attach a second clamp.
Single clamp will rip through a telegraph pole !!
Old 05-05-11   #5 (permalink)
Site Sponsor, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Intresting what a shaped chard and a little det cord can do these days. I beleive this product will fill a job specific need only. First problem I see is the noise associated with such use. The second and even more serious problem would be storage and theft prevention. With as much reported theft as I have seen on this site it leads me to believe this could be far to risky for any pratical use. In the wrong hands the results could be very deadly. I will work safer on the ground with my power pole saw and my name sake.
Old 05-05-11   #6 (permalink)
RTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottythepinetree View Post
Looks pretty cool, but in all honesty, I can't see it taking off. All of the trees in the video could have been done with a chainsaw and ropes, and in 4 years of cutting utilities I have yet to come across a tree that couldn't be done safely with chainsaws and ropes. The level of training a network operator would demand, and the cost of the device itself I can't help but think will prohibit it's use in the real world, which is a shame because I'd love a go.
Hello Scotty

Great comments
I would agree that the majority of scenarios can be handled in the traditional way. However, there are circumstances where climbers are exposed to higher levels of risk, for instance, cluster of storm damaged trees putting tension on the lines.
Another advantage is that the clamps can be connected in series to make several cuts in a single blast, in the same time as the operator has removed a single obstruction with a chainsaw.
Health & Safety is a key element and when an operator such as yourself is exposed to a greater level of risk, having the ability to carry out your work from a safe distance is beneficial to all involved and another box ticked on the paperwork.
Training these days is like the proverbial death and taxes, especially when working in hazardous environments. All operators would need formal training to use the product but this would tend to be for selected response teams.
Old 05-05-11   #7 (permalink)
RTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Intresting what a shaped chard and a little det cord can do these days. I beleive this product will fill a job specific need only. First problem I see is the noise associated with such use. The second and even more serious problem would be storage and theft prevention. With as much reported theft as I have seen on this site it leads me to believe this could be far to risky for any pratical use. In the wrong hands the results could be very deadly. I will work safer on the ground with my power pole saw and my name sake.
Your concerns are justified and the training deals with the storage and handling which are closely regulated.
I guess there is an element of fear in anything new to a market but once it becomes common place the concerns are allayed.
The device was designed specifically for use in rural, difficult to access locations and has been in operation in Scandinavia for over 15 years.
Old 06-05-11   #8 (permalink)

RTP,

Do you have a primary source for this video clip (wmv etc?) Company polcy wil not let us view you tube!
Old 06-05-11   #9 (permalink)
RTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsmanBSc View Post
RTP,

Do you have a primary source for this video clip (wmv etc?) Company polcy wil not let us view you tube!
Hello Woodsman

You can try viewing through the webpage safe T cut explosive clamp overhead powerlines tree removal alternatively if you are still having difficulty send me a private message with your contact details and will send dvd disc in the post.
Old 06-05-11   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Hi, good idea but i cant see it taking off in the uk. You would have to get local D.N.O's to ok its use and dont you have to have a licence to use explosives here, that would mean alot of extra training and extra cabinets on all the vans to carry the stuff.