Aerial rescue with mechanical devices?

josharb87

Been a looong time since i did aerial rescue.

Just wondering whats the options on aerial rescue with mechanical devices? or even a hitch climber?

I learnt (like most) using a 6 wrap prussic (just an extra wrap on your own prussic) for when the casualties transfered onto my system.

But never climb on a prussic so would the likes of a zig-zag or lockjack work with 2 persons weight? obviously a hitch climber won't.

Could a rope wrench or even F8 be used above/in conjunction with the mechanical device or hitch climber on a DdRT system to successfully add enough friction to support 2 persons in a controlled decent?

Many mechanical devices have to stay on your rope, so in the event of a rescue, the rescuer would kind of have to use it or it'd get in the way. and climbing up on a prussic would take an age!

Any thoughts?

In practice - if you had a say a zig zag on your line and needed to get to help someone in a real emergency you'd make do with it, rather than try to unthread it along the whole line while your other climber is hanging on for dear life with a broken shoulder or whatever.

Perhaps back it up with a prussik wrapped on the fly? When I'm on DRT I usually have a lock jack one end and normal prussik the other. Perhaps take another rope with you and figure 8?

Use whatever the injured climber had up there with them? Groundie to lower you both on the rigging rope and a bollard? I suppose if you have someone bleeding out a litre a minute then whatever works quickest - risk is relative in a situation like that.

Fortunately and thankfully the worst I've seen with another climber with is cramp or the odd silky nick. Others will have has more serious situations to deal with than me and can probably speak from experience better than me.

Preferred option is to bring the casualty down on their own system, that is quickest and there is no risk of dropping them during transfer.

If you have to disconnect them from their system, and your system won't easily take 2, then you could use a lowering rope and a groundie.

Failing that, then some way to add friction into your system is needed, maybe a fig 8 or another descender. Or have a rescue kit set up ready with a suitable system for rescuing a climber rather than your preferred working rig.

Whatever you use, if you haven't practised it the chances of getting it right in a emergency are pretty slim. If you have a groundie with a rescue ticket, do they know how your system works?

Ben Rose and John Shutler did some practice rescues on mechanicals at Cutters mate, but I think it was SRT based.

They'll both know a lot more than me though.

Which isn't saying much, mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I remember it well, very interesting.

If you've transferred the casualty onto your system you'll need to add some extra friction into the system.

At the Cutters and Climbers they mentioned using a minter hitch on a crab below your system, or if your harness permits (TM was demo'd) take a bight of line from beneath your device, push it through one of your lower D's, and clip a carabiner through the loop (the one on the end of your lanyard for example).

If you can't picture what I'm trying to describe Let me know and I'll try and get a pic up.

I found the quick seminar really interesting, it's great to go through it from time to time.

Ben Rose and John Shutler did some practice rescues on mechanicals at Cutters mate, but I think it was SRT based.

They'll both know a lot more than me though.

Which isn't saying much, mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

And I'm surprised you remember, thought you were too busy drinking my beer and heckling the "casualty"!

In practice - if you had a say a zig zag on your line and needed to get to help someone in a real emergency you'd make do with it, rather than try to unthread it along the whole line while your other climber is hanging on for dear life with a broken shoulder or whatever.

Yep, my thoughts, but does it work?

Failing that, then some way to add friction into your system is needed, maybe a fig 8 or another descender. Or have a rescue kit set up ready with a suitable system for rescuing a climber rather than your preferred working rig.

But has anyone tested or tried an aerial rescue on one system, on a mechanical device, DdRT, with "added friction"? Whats the most effective way?

I remember it well, very interesting.

If you've transferred the casualty onto your system you'll need to add some extra friction into the system.

At the Cutters and Climbers they mentioned using a minter hitch on a crab below your system, or if your harness permits (TM was demo'd) take a bight of line from beneath your device, push it through one of your lower D's, and clip a carabiner through the loop (the one on the end of your lanyard for example).

If you can't picture what I'm trying to describe Let me know and I'll try and get a pic up.

I found the quick seminar really interesting, it's great to go through it from time to time.

thats pretty good. I guess the bight through lower Ds won't hockle the rope either. the munter hitch will, which could cause problems at the worst time!