A new man again

Rodeodog

Evening to everyone. I have been doing arboriculture fir around 5 years now and for the a while now wanted to try my hand at chainsaw carving/sculpture, I am after as much advise as possible please, I.e which chainsaw/bar/chain. Works best. Cheers.

Ms260 standard bar and chain for roughing out back handle ms200 or 201 with dime tip carving bar 1/4 pitch chain and sprocket you have to change the oiler as well but easily done and that one is for detailing.

A 4" angle grinder with range of sanding disc pads or carbide donuts.

A die grinder with some other carbide bits and sanding mops eye tools.

Dremel for fine detailing.

There are other sanders and bits and pieces you can get which you'll discover as you get on.

Watch lots of vids on you tube you can buy DVDs and books showing you how to carve.

All the kit isn't necessary but you'll want it all at some stage if you want to carry on. Most of all have fun and look forward to seeing some pieces.

Hi rodeodog, what saws do you have? You can rough out with standard bars. 260/360 or equivalent kind of thing.

For detail you're best having a saw dedicated to carving with 1/4 drive sprocket. Rear handled 201, or 170/180 depends on your budget or what you have already, husqvarna, echo etc so long as 35 cc ish.

You'll need 1/4 sprocket and worm drive to run a dime tip bar and carving chain. Run the chain slack and away you go.

Lots of other tools available but for starters, mapp gas burner and sando flex _ see Gustharts on a drill. These are my most used tools 😃

Hi wisewood. I have a husky 550xp and 560xp also a stihl 200t. Do you think the 550 would be OK for roughing out or to much grunt? I will have a look for a 170 on ebay. Cheers.

Both the 550&560 are ideal for roughing out, grunt is good for blocking out😉 and they're still light enough to use all day long. I use the Stihl equivalents.

You maybe better off buying new, 170/1 aren't that dear and most of them on eBay sell for at least £100

hey mate, welcome aborad. id have a good trawl back through the past 2 or 3 years worth of threads mate, HUGE amounts of info there. i suspect every queston you could think of has been asked by one of us in that time :) and then discussed at length. soem v experienced carvers here who are always happy to help