Throw line techniques

Thesnarlingbadger

Right I have done my fair share of climbing and after several years know my strengths and weaknesses.

I figure it is about time I admit a major weakness of mine is general throwing of ropes due to having dislocated both my shoulders in the past (my right one being an ongoing issue).

If I have to use a throw line more times than not I use a groundy to do it, but feel it is unfair as I am the climber and feel like it is a duty of mine. Same situation if I need to throw a rope from the ground.

I have no issues climbing a tree once in it, and have always found a way to get to the top of any tree i have climbed usually quite quickly.

I'm just looking to see if anyone else suffers from similar issues and if anyone can give me any tips or tricks as to improve my throw.

Any advice would be much appreciated with throw lines and general rope throwing.

Thanks in advance people.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more about the swing put in the bag that gives it momentum and not the throw... Just kind of watch and keep your eye on the target try not to aim and just visualise your bag hitting it and you should,I find the more I try and take aim the more I miss! There's always the big shot or APTA launcher if your shoulders are really bad though.. They do require some good aiming.

It's more about the swing put in the bag that gives it momentum and not the throw... Just kind of watch and keep your eye on the target try not to aim and just visualise your bag hitting it and you should,I find the more I try and take aim the more I miss! There's always the big shot or APTA launcher if your shoulders are really bad though.. They do require some good aiming.

I will try and visualise the target a bit more as it has been advised to me before. I love the idea of a big shot but would like to try and get the technique a bit more.:001_smile:

That's a good description from Matty . I hold my line like this.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1457593156.459917.jpg.32695fb7e028c58df47c61db03dad685.jpg

And i use the cheap line , but 2 in 1 spliced.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1457593421.191066.jpg.397451626d2d09f38402b10621b9a90b.jpg

You can waste/gain a lot time with throw lines , its a good idea to have something like the Big Shot as well

Using the cradle method took my throwing to the next level quite quickly. I've never been very good at throwing anything ever, really, so it was a pleasant surprise to be able to get to a reasonable standard quite quickly.

I think one of the reasons it works well is that you line the target up through the centre of your body not to the side. (If I try one handed I always seem to aim wide.)

I went out one Sunday afternoon with my throw line to some big oaks and spent a couple of hours practising. I came home with a new skill 🙂

Also, it seems to work better if I don't stand to close to the tree.

I'm definitely not making out I'm an expert or anything, I'm just saying that it made a massive difference.

Right I have done my fair share of climbing and after several years know my strengths and weaknesses.

I figure it is about time I admit a major weakness of mine is general throwing of ropes due to having dislocated both my shoulders in the past (my right one being an ongoing issue).

If I have to use a throw line more times than not I use a groundy to do it, but feel it is unfair as I am the climber and feel like it is a duty of mine. Same situation if I need to throw a rope from the ground.

I have no issues climbing a tree once in it, and have always found a way to get to the top of any tree i have climbed usually quite quickly.

I'm just looking to see if anyone else suffers from similar issues and if anyone can give me any tips or tricks as to improve my throw.

Any advice would be much appreciated with throw lines and general rope throwing.

Thanks in advance people.

Like you i have issues with my throwing,not because of any injury..im just crap at it.

Practice is the only way forward.

Go along to a park-one without dogs as they will nick your throwbag-and just practice your different techniques,underhand or cradle whatever suits you and get comfortable with it.

Or as treequip says bigshot...although in my experience not great unless its big trees.Good luck mate

Edited by stihlmadasever