Impact and method statement

MAPLE LEAF

Got a call today from someone who I am doing some tree work for they are putting in a decking area and have to have planning permission. The area where the deck is to be installed has several trees.

They have been asked by the council to supply a impact and method statement report.

I am not doing the deck they have asked me if I can supply a report all they want are sizes of trees in the area of deck and where they are in relation to the garden.

I asked if he or the contractor has any written plans for the deck and nothing has yet been drawn up.

Is there anything I need to ask my client before going to draw this up.

Will do a plan of the garden and trees involved sizes now and expected specimen sizes and where they are in the deck.

I would of thought it would be better to submit plans for the deck to the council at the same time as the report to speed up the process.

Any tips from anyone on how to build the deck to keep the trees managed i.e. Roots not being damaged and movement of deck as it's on a slope. Just trying to help my client out as I think this has not really been thought out properly yet with specifications of the deck.

I have done a insurance claim report but this will be my first type of impact/method statement report.the council told my client that any tree surgeon would be capable of doing the report.

Just think they want the facts regarding the trees i.e. Size and in relation to where they will be after deck is assembled.

I will only write what facts are visible concerning the trees just looking for advise on anything regarding the deck.

Like already said not doing the deck and haven't meet the contractor so I don't know if he will be bothered about the trees when he's finished.

Thanks for the offer I'm doing this as a favour to the client as done quite a bit of work already and got a lot more lined up next month.

Mr Arborist will keep you right, but the generalities are these.

The terminology being used by the Council is from BS5837. As well as planning permission, TPO consent may be needed if trees are affected.

The survey is just that, what trees, where, how big and how far roots ar elikely to exten and how much rooting is needed to maintain the viability of the trees. The Impact Assessment is the effect the proposals could have on the trees. The Method Statement is what special procedures are needed to avoid or minimise damage to the trees and roots.

There's an in-between stage. Once the vulnerability of the trees and roots is known, the design should be amended if necessary to avoid or minimise damage. So probably best to do this right, proper survey and AIA, adjust design, submit proposal and support it with AMS.

I doubt it it's the type of thing any tree surgeon could do. Do it right and it sees off the threat of a refusal based on insufficient evidence. A refusal has no chance at appeal unless it's done right.

Mr Arborist will keep you right, but the generalities are these.

The terminology being used by the Council is from BS5837. As well as planning permission, TPO consent may be needed if trees are affected.

The survey is just that, what trees, where, how big and how far roots ar elikely to exten and how much rooting is needed to maintain the viability of the trees. The Impact Assessment is the effect the proposals could have on the trees. The Method Statement is what special procedures are needed to avoid or minimise damage to the trees and roots.

There's an in-between stage. Once the vulnerability of the trees and roots is known, the design should be amended if necessary to avoid or minimise damage. So probably best to do this right, proper survey and AIA, adjust design, submit proposal and support it with AMS.

I doubt it it's the type of thing any tree surgeon could do. Do it right and it sees off the threat of a refusal based on insufficient evidence. A refusal has no chance at appeal unless it's done right.

Good advice from Jules here. The only thing I would add is that the impact assessment is the effect of the development on the trees and vice versa

Also, realistically the AMS should come via condition. I know some LPAs ask for it upfront but this is not the correct approach in my view.

Cheers

Indeed, although I often add a draft/heads of terms ams for the client to include in the app along with the aia. Sometimes I feel it doesn't take long and can help demonstrate the feasibility of any necessary works near trees/placement of barriers etc.