Trees in relation to a new development site

jjll

Hi,

Just thought I'd try and get some more information on this matter...

Where a new development site has been built, and the landscaping completed, the existing vegetation and trees are then protected for (x) amount of time according to the planning.

Surely, where a tree is to be retained for (x) amount of time, it can only be retained or conditions to what can be done in terms of pruning work if the tree has a TPO?

...Or once the (x) time is up, and the tree hasn't been TPOd it could potentially be removed?

If this is the case, why not put a TPO on it at the development stage to permanently retain it?

Hi,

Just thought I'd try and get some more information on this matter...

Where a new development site has been built, and the landscaping completed, the existing vegetation and trees are then protected for (x) amount of time according to the planning.

Surely, where a tree is to be retained for (x) amount of time, it can only be retained or conditions to what can be done in terms of pruning work if the tree has a TPO?

...Or once the (x) time is up, and the tree hasn't been TPOd it could potentially be removed?

If this is the case, why not put a TPO on it at the development stage to permanently retain it?

A soft landscape scheme is usually accompanied with a soft landscape specification and a five year establishment (management) plan. This will form part of the approved documentation and any works as set out within this document can be carried out with no further recourse to the LPA. In reality, soft planting works are rarely followed up by the LPA and all sorts of horrors occur with the management/maintenance.

It wouldn't be realistic to serve a TPO on every tree planted within all planting schemes and it probably wouldn't be realistic to serve a TPO on all the trees within a reasonably large planting scheme. The on-going costs and time would probably break most LPA trees/planning sections.

Once the planning condition comes to an end (usually 5 years), there is nothing to stop the trees from being removed or left to die. Just look at most supermarket car-parks where one or two trees are miserably hanging on.

My view is that there needs to be a change to the T&CPA to allow soft planting conditions to be unending and replacement for dead or dying trees could be enforced inperpetuity. If there are to be any further changes to the planting layout, a new planning application must be submitted. This way we can require replacement trees in our semi-public spaces. I raised this point with the Secretary of State . . . he isn't my mate and I only wrote him a letter but was informed that this was not part of the Government's thinking but thanks for contacting us. Until the Government sees how important trees and landscape is, I don't hold up too much hope that the quality of our landscape will improve.

There always appears to be plenty of capital money to create wonderful planting schemes but rarely the revenue money to maintain them and perhaps this also needs to change.

I understand your point about it not being viable to serve a TPO on all newly planted trees but what about existing trees? Where I assume trees of a lower value have been removed to enable development, and the higher scoring trees retained, in this case, there are only a handful of semi mature and mature trees that have been retained. Why not TPO them if they are important for the landscape value?

So once the 5 year maintenance/retention time is up, someone can remove the trees as long as they still don't have an order on them?

Planning conditions, often used to retain peripheral trees and hedgerows during the development process, probably in part as a screen, if not discharged, usually by a time limit, e.g. 5 years, can remain indefinitely (albeit suggestions are that after 5 years they would be difficult to enforce.)

You are quite correct that the 'tool the LPA should use to secure long term retention of trees is the TPO (this however is more time consuming and bureaucratic.)

Just some thoughts..

Paul

Planning conditions, often used to retain peripheral trees and hedgerows during the development process, probably in part as a screen, if not discharged, usually by a time limit, e.g. 5 years, can remain indefinitely (albeit suggestions are that after 5 years they would be difficult to enforce.)

You are quite correct that the 'tool the LPA should use to secure long term retention of trees is the TPO (this however is more time consuming and bureaucratic.)

Just some thoughts..

Paul

You may be able to enlighten me a bit on this Paul (as an ex-TO). How much actual work is involved in creating a TPO? Reading the literature as to what has to be done, It doesn't come across as that time consuming - getting a map, marking and identifying the trees and creating the notice (most of which is generally standard apart from the actual designation. Then it has to be recorded in the register.

Would it be reasonable to say that it would take a working day for one officer?

I'm just curious after reading the Isle of Wights cost's/budget projections to resurvey all of their protected trees a while back.

In reponse to your and Oslac's comments, I think we're pretty much screwed until there are arboriculturists involved, in an advisory capacity, at the higher government levels. Until then it'll be okay to fell Ancient Woodland for roadlinks - as long as they plant some trees elsewhere:001_rolleyes:

You may be able to enlighten me a bit on this Paul (as an ex-TO). How much actual work is involved in creating a TPO? Reading the literature as to what has to be done, It doesn't come across as that time consuming - getting a map, marking and identifying the trees and creating the notice (most of which is generally standard apart from the actual designation. Then it has to be recorded in the register.

Would it be reasonable to say that it would take a working day for one officer?

I'm just curious after reading the Isle of Wights cost's/budget projections to resurvey all of their protected trees a while back.

QUOTE]

The practicalities of doing as you say may only take a day but the Council internal arrangements, in terms of authorizations, e.g. Dept. Heads / Legal, can often add time n hassle if not formally delegated. Further sometimes it may require approval from a 'member' or committee dependent upon the impacts etc. (this was my experience anyway but I know different Councils have different approaches.) All of which can increase time and bureaucracy.

Cheers,

Paul