How not to do Trees and Development!

stevelucocq

How bizarre.

Where was it Steve?

Swansea area, I have walked past this tree for over 20 years. looked fine before the large flats went in. then I slowly watched it decline over 10 years until the end.

Now there is no scope for replacement tree planting. If this was going to go ahead I feel it would have been better to remove this tree before construction and condition in some good replacement trees planting in suitable locations for mitigation.

How the planning process ended up with this scenario is beyond me. Either the tree should have been removed at the planning stage and a landscape plan implemented, or the building moved away from the tree. There is only one winner here and the TO, the Case Officer or the Members should have been bold enough to do the right thing.

If the building is deemed more important than the tree, and if the retention of the tree will result in its decline or the potential future nuisance of residents/occupiers of the building, then the most sustainable outcome is remove and replace.

It can be difficult to get it right for all parties but in this case, it looks like someone got it wrong.

Why not? There seems to be a nice patch of grass there that would take an appropriate sized arboreal feature :confused1:

hi paul,

hope your well

i was referring to conditioning in replacement trees as part of the planning application for the removal of this tree. hopefully the landowner will plant something suitable.

Edited by stevelucocq

• 2 weeks later...

When they built the extension at the Milton Keynes shopping center some 15 years ago they built it around from memory an old OAK, buildings all round it within 40m and higher than it.

Dont make a habit of going there but last time I looked at it then it was far from happy,

A