The Helliwell system

Victor

Hello everyone.

Is there someone familiar with the Helliwell system?

I was wondering what do you do when a tree scores 0 in one of the 6 categories? As for example, if the tree is in a dangerous condition and it is going to be felled shortly so in the duration category it scores 0.

Score 8x0x3x1x4x0.5= 0?

does it mean this tree has no monetary value?

Thank you for reading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone.

Is there someone familiar with the Helliwell system?

I was wondering what do you do when a tree scores 0 in one of the 6 categories? As for example, if the tree is in a dangerous condition and it is going to be felled shortly so in the duration category it scores 0.

Score 8x0x3x1x4x0.5= 0?

does it mean this tree has no monetary value?

Thank you for reading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Correct, anything multiplied by zero is zero. And so it is with Helliwell system. Use it with great care, I think its usefuleness is as a comparative system rahter than one that delivers absolute values.

Correct, anything multiplied by zero is zero. And so it is with Helliwell system. Use it with great care, I think its usefuleness is as a comparative system rahter than one that delivers absolute values.

What systems are people using most Jules? I haven't looked at the Helliwell system since college.

Until you have a clear idea as to why you are attempting to put a monetary value on a tree it's impossible to advise you as to what to do.....so please tell us. There is not one system that addresses all issues.

Both Helliwell and CAVAT are both artificial constructs with clear pitfalls......but it does depend on what you are trying to do as to whether these are of significance or not.

If your reason is anything to do with Court and/or formal compensation (as opposed to attempting to resolve a dispute informally) I would use neither.....but I have used both as by the time I am involved typically someone has attempted to resolve the issue with one, the other or both.