what model of saw is this and whats the best bar?

flatyre

hey folks, just been offered this saw for £50 but reckon I can take it home for £30, the owner says its low on compression, no starter toggle, exhaust, bar, or chain, and he has no idea what model it is. I think it might be a stihl 039 but if anyone knows for sure i'd be glad to hear from you. I've repaired and rebuild a few saws and enjoy the challenge of taking scrap machines and getting them working again, even if its cheaper to buy a complete running saw. I've priced up the parts and reckon I can have the saw rebuilt with a new pot, piston and ring, exhaust, pull chord and toggle, and a full service for under the going rate of an 039, with new bearings, I think I could have a like new 039 for under £200?

IMG_3871_zpspik8jwc0.jpg

IMG_3873_zpsmffdvbvj.jpg

IMG_3874_zpsifbaeabm.jpg

IMG_3872_zpsuskqnclw.jpg

I dislike these saws, if you buy it, good luck with removing the bar mount stud nearest the clutch..........wanna ask me why..........don't bother, just walk away! They are a bitch to work on compared to many!

£30 - 50 is good though, buy it, bung it on ebay, sell it and use the proceeds to buy something nicer!

Went to have a look at the saw, guy took £25 for it, at that price I couldn't say no as round here even the smallest cheapest stihl something like a stihl 017 sells for £150+. Its a 1997 029, I know a lot of you guys don'r rate them, but I can buy a new pot and piston kit, exhaust, crank bearings and seals, and a service kit for £60, I have a good 18" bar with very little use in the shed, and throw a new chain at it, I'll have a pokey enough saw in mechanically perfect condition for little over £100 all in. Took me 25 minutes to strip it completely down, once the parts arrive I should have it rebuilt in little over an hour. If an 017 fetches £150+ with a scrap chain and hasn't been serviced in years, then an 029 with all new insides should fetch £200 easily, but i'll probably keep it as a spare saw.