tree climbing with customers

smokeygaz

Does anyone know if you need specific tickets to take children tree climbing. Talking about belaying them up there then lowering them to the ground. Any help would be much appreciated and all the lads running the session are tree climbing trained.

But would you be able to say that? I've taught outdoor activities for 5 years and ran multiple tree climbing sessions but only once I had been trained and assessed usually by an external trainer and as an in house assessment for that particular outdoor centre. Work are planning this event and I think it sounds dodgy. Especially when one of the lads said we would use a petal grillon as a belay device. Even though it's only a work positioning device and isn't certified for belaying. So clearly the competence isn't there. Especially regarding kids

Realistically, a gri gri is what you want. There isn't any training specifically for training kids etc.

In the event of something going wrong, the questions to be asked would be are you competent to do what you were doing? (Cs38 minimum) is the kit suitable (LOLER and inspection records etc

From my experience, you'll want to get some smaller rock climbing harnesses as well

Just how I would approach it.

Yea will have to look into the insurance bit. And I also thought a grigri would be appropriate. When I said a grillon wasn't suitable I got told they are the same thing and that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about so I rang up Lyon who are the importer and distributed of petzl kit in the UK and they said that it isn't certified for use as a belay device.

They are essentially the same thing. Grillon is a closed system that is screwed together, gri gri opens and is contained on the crab. Principles are the same

I spoke to Lyon about this and the grillon isn't certified as a belay device and should not be used as one as it hasn't been subjected to the same load testing. BS EN 15151 is the European standard for belay devices and the grillon does not meet this standard