Saw horse for awkward stumps, unions etc.

sandspider

Hi all.

Random thought - does anyone have an easy way to grip the awkward stumps, branch unions, big nasty pieces left at the bottom of the wood pile while sawing them up?

I've got a sawhorse that does fine for the longer nicer pieces of wood, but was looking for a safe way to grip the gnarly bits left when the nice bits have been chopped. Something like a pallet with some holes drilled in it perhaps, and upright struts stuck in the holes to trap and secure awkward bits of wood?

And yes, I could just bonfire the awkward bits, but it seems a waste. And yes, I chop the large gnarly bits rwsting under their own weight, but I'm left with awkward bits too small for my sawhorse, but too large for my log burner that I can't split. Am I missing a trick? Perhaps I should just get a hydraulic splitter!

Cheers.

This is what I use…. the 2 pieces in the middle are able to slide along the support beam , so that you can support long logs and short logs…….and also gnarly bits :001_smile:

If the bit that I am cutting is an awkward shape then I make sure that my chain is at right-angles to the face edge nearest me….. if you get my drift ? ….. to prevent the log moving up out of the fork.

20141224_104008.jpg.db13881f0607d7a55548c4ac3648380c.jpg

This is what I use…. the 2 pieces in the middle are able to slide along the support beam , so that you can support long logs and short logs…….and also gnarly bits :001_smile:

If the bit that I am cutting is an awkward shape then I make sure that my chain is at right-angles to the face edge nearest me….. if you get my drift ? ….. to prevent the log moving up out of the fork.

I've got one of those, but without the moveable bits.....yet.

Every day's a school day. Thanks Maria. :biggrin:

Thanks one and all.

I'm not a tree surgeon, so I don't use a chainsaw that much, and while I have used my feet on bits of wood while chainsawing, it's not ideal. (They're less than size 12!)

The step idea sounds good, nice drawing ballibeg! Or the moving grippy bits on the sawhorse. I'll see what I can bash together...

Edited by sandspider