Help Fixing a Splice

recycledsole

Hello,

My brother splices for a living. He is rarely in town and when he is, its for a short time. Anyways, I got him to splice an eye into my climbing rope, but it was very stubborn and we didn't have time to finish it. The core is left exposed. How can I fix this? I have tried jamming the core into the sheath with a screwdriver, but made little progress and really don't see where its going to go in the center of the eye.

thanks alot

20140217_133453.jpg.3c636ea34324cd7b3a9f52bd0ad9cd39.jpg

Work the splice back out of the bury.

Best case scenario you sort the crossover out, stitch it up tight and re bury it. Worse case it's too knackered from the pushing with a screwdriver and you'll have to chop it off.

What type of rope does your brother normally splice? Arb ropes are much tighter than normal double braids.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yeah, Arb double braid is very different to sailors splicing. You need to be much more careful with the splice before and during the final bury, some people stitch the crossover together. Also keeping it under tension as you bury it is important.