Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tree Identification pictures Post your positive ID'd pictures here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-13   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Re: I planted some sycamore seeds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Sycamores are a fantastic tree in all respects - you don't have to hide behind it just being your opinion.

They are highly valued as timber, support a significant range of biodiversity and look majestic in the landscape especially when in veteran status.

Too many chop-happy-saw-monkeys like to chog them down just because its a sycamore and for no other good reason which can only be species genocide by the ill informed and uneducated.

What else will fill the gap left from the devastation of Elms and the potential impact on Ash? Its time people dropped unrealistic and unsupported prejudices.

And yes, they do make good firewood...
You tell em kid
Old 05-07-13   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Quote:
Sycamores are a fantastic tree in all respects - you don't have to hide behind it just being your opinion.

They are highly valued as timber, support a significant range of biodiversity and look majestic in the landscape especially when in veteran status.

Too many chop-happy-saw-monkeys like to chog them down just because its a sycamore and for no other good reason which can only be species genocide by the ill informed and uneducated.

What else will fill the gap left from the devastation of Elms and the potential impact on Ash? Its time people dropped unrealistic and unsupported prejudices.

With you all the way in every respect on this one .
Old 05-07-13   #23 (permalink)

They grow like mad here. If you plant that here it will be 20ft high in the morning with babies all around. Well maybe not the 20ft bit but you know what I mean and yes it makes excellent firewood similar to beech imo.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loggyw...9059086?ref=ts

LOGGYWOOD FIREWOOD AND WHOLESALE KINDLING PRODUCERS
Old 05-07-13   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2013

Had a nice one a few years back,12.50 per hoppus foot 80 foot in butt happy days and sycamore is such a nasty tree
Old 05-07-13   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Quote:

Maybe the firewood is why people are so chop-happy, I find it an excellent cash crop, wallop it down, and within a few years its ready again!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App
Old 05-07-13   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Quote:

Don't the chop-happy-saw-monkeys have to chop em down to make good firewood?

An personally yes, despite the bloody greenfly, I rank a mature sycamore along with any ash, oak or beech.
Old 07-07-13   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
guelder rose imo.
Good call. I checked my plants and the leaves are identical.