Eucalyptus tree in trouble?

djadamlaw

Hello there all, new member here I hope you are all well.

We have moved into our property a couple of years ago and it came with an (estimated) 8-10 year old eucalyptus tree.

For the last 2 years it has been fine and full of foliage (sometimes looses some leaves in the summer as a normal eucalyptus does) but it's been great until now.

Since late Jan / early Feb of this year we have noticed about 50% of it brown and without any foliage whatsoever (looking dead) whilst the other half seems fine?! :confused1:

Whilst we notice it's 50/50, the damaged part (after Internet reading) suggests it could be wind/frost damage. However, we have some issues with an immediate neighbour not wanting the tree there concerning us that it may have been poisoned by them...!? Other neighbours have reported airgun firing at it by them with metal pellets (although this can certainly not be confirmed or proved!)

Any advise would be ever so grateful, are we overreacting? We do not know much about this kind of tree; I am happy to take further more detailed photos of certain parts of the tree if anyone needs them to help us.

Thanks muchly.

A concerned tree lover :001_huh:

image.jpg.89450c44cba12c7db365fc435681890f.jpg

Edited by djadamlaw

I'd give it a while. We see them stripped out by gum leaf roller only to bounce back next year, it'll be epicormic growth so not structural but if it isn't anywhere where broken branches could cause issues, let it be a while and see what happens. Might be worth while checking around the base for the drill holes or signs of poisoning. Remove the deadwood as required.

If it has been shot at by air riffle pellets then you should see tiny holes on the stem or branches from (obviously) where the pallettes have gone in. Eucalyptus have a soft out layer of bark so you should see this easily. Obviously if there are pellets then they will be on side of the tree from where the pellets have been fired from. If there is and its obvious that they have come from a certain direction other than from your house then that's criminal damage.

Unfortunately eucalyptus is rather brittle so I would definitely get it dead wooded as soon as but probably better to have it pollarded as you will be able to get a nice pollard out of that tree.

Get some binoculars and have a good look and see if you can see any damage.

Good luck

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all your help and advise so far guys. PLEASE do keep them coming...

Other notes / clues:

- I cannot see any signs of fungal or poisoning along the base or main trunk of the tree.

- Another neighbour has some binoculars, maybe I can borrow them to look above.

- The neighbour who does not want the tree there DID cut some healthy parts hanging over his garden, with our consent last summer 2015. Could this be a clue? May have shocked it?

Thank you in advance.. :001_smile:

Hi Ste

Any particular reason why we should get rid?

Many thanks.

Because they quickly get out of hand in no time , has you seem to have a liking to it the best option is to Pollard it then keep it in Shape , has to the dead branches etc this reading may help .

Eucalyptus trees respond to drought and other stresses by shedding leaves and twigs to reduce moisture loss through transpiration (tree-breathing). Later, they can grow new leaves and branches from “epicormic buds” buried deep under the bark. It’s a defense mechanism that keeps the tree alive, not a sign that it’s dying.

In addition, epicormic sprouting can be a response to fire damage, to increased light (as when nearby trees are cut down), or even just a normal process of tree growth

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID