Greenhouses and Growing Fruit Trees

tothetop

I've always been an avid gardener but its mainly been growing plants and flowers for the aesthetics of the garden, I've never actually grown that many fruit and veg apart from having the odd plant on the window sill maybe and some tomato plants in the conservatory. I like to shop for fresh and organic ingredients but haven't ever set about planting my own, until now. I'm really keen on becoming more self-sufficient. The more the bills increase year on year, the more we need to find ways to save some cash. I'm a fruit and salad lover so I'm really keen on planting some fruit trees. As the climate here in Ireland can vary quite a lot throughout the different seasons, I was wondering whether a greenhouse would be necessary in order to help them grow? Which fruit trees are the most durable and can handle the climates in Ireland better? I do want to buy a greenhouse but I'm trying to gauge how big it needs to be, which fruit grow better inside one and which fruit can cope just as well outside. Presumably citrus trees are going to need a warmer climate. My concern trying to save money is that they would probably need artificial heating in order to survive which would defeat the object.

There are plenty of apple, pear, plum and damson trees that grow well outdoors in harsh climates, you just have to do a bit if research first before you buy. The fruit trees I would/do grow in greenhouses would be peaches, nectarines and cherries (both for warmth and bird protection). These are best grown on small rootstocks trained as a fan but do need more attention through watering and pollination.

There are plenty of apple, pear, plum and damson trees that grow well outdoors in harsh climates, you just have to do a bit if research first before you buy. The fruit trees I would/do grow in greenhouses would be peaches, nectarines and cherries (both for warmth and bird protection). These are best grown on small rootstocks trained as a fan but do need more attention through watering and pollination.

Thank you, that's good to know. I would be very keen on attempting peaches and cherries as these are probably two of my favourite fruits. We do already have some raspberry canes in the garden actually but that's it so far. Plums I would be quite keen to give a go too. I would have liked to grow strawberries but apparently they can take a bit of work. I'll take a look at some greenhouses for sale to see if I can find one suitable for our space. I don't think we need to go too big but I'm guessing more plants than not would benefit from the protection a green house brings so I want there to be enough room.

Cherries, peaches and grapes are the only fruits that grow in my greenhouse. As long as you pick appropriate varieties everything else can grow happily outside. For fruits like raspberries, currants, blackberries, strawberries, etc it can be a good idea to build a fruit cage for bird protection. These can be expensive to buy but you make a DIY one cheaply, I used some poles from a cheap gazebo that someone was throwing away and then some bird netting bought online. Because it is simple and quick to put up I just use the cage when the fruit is ripening in the summer then take it down again so it doesn't get damaged by wind/snow and don't have to worry about birds getting trapped inside.

Also make sure you get some automatic vents for your greenhouse.

Grapes, apples, plums & pears all grow outside for me, and well - apart from perhaps the grapes, which do fairly well. I use my greenhouse for tomatoes, chillies and peppers mainly. Toms will grow outside down here, but the greenhouse gives them a hand.

The big old houses around here managed to grow citrus fruits in their orangeries (old fashioned conservatory type things) with some success, but I'm not sure if they heated the orangeries over winter...

Cherries, peaches and grapes are the only fruits that grow in my greenhouse. As long as you pick appropriate varieties everything else can grow happily outside. For fruits like raspberries, currants, blackberries, strawberries, etc it can be a good idea to build a fruit cage for bird protection. These can be expensive to buy but you make a DIY one cheaply, I used some poles from a cheap gazebo that someone was throwing away and then some bird netting bought online. Because it is simple and quick to put up I just use the cage when the fruit is ripening in the summer then take it down again so it doesn't get damaged by wind/snow and don't have to worry about birds getting trapped inside.

OK thanks, that's some good advice. Just bought a greenhouse that we found for sale online, it's one of those lean-to styled ones. It's going to hopefully slot in nicely to the space we've got. Going to check out these automatic vents that have been mentioned.

Thanks again.

Ah ok, see what you mean now by automatic vents, they are basically just an automatic lever system that opens and closes your windows. Didn't know these cool little gadgets existed.

If you are planning to grow fruit trees in a greenhouse/tunnel beware of red spider mite. It won't kill the trees but it will seriously inhibit growth/fruiting. Trick is to introduce some humidity by wetting the floor or misting.

Peaches and nectarines are particularly susceptible.

Haven't really got much to add about what does well in Ireland's climate, but one bit of advice that is often repeated in the allotment magazines is if you're limited to space try and grow a premium crop. Especially if you're trying to save yourself on the food bills look at what the more expensive fruit and vegetables are that you actually buy and try and grow those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk