Copper beech graft

jacquemontii

Please see photos of what I believe to be a graft union on a mature copper beech. The tree is 20m high, with a well balanced crown spread. Located in a private garden and currently surrounded and sheltered by other trees. Some of these companion trees may be removed and I am considering how the beech will stand up to the exposure.

Having referred to Lonsdale (Tree hazard assessment and management, 1999) this tree appears to present similar external signs of graft incompatibility as shown in the book.

Does anyone have experience of beech failing at a graft union?

IMG_0029.jpg.64478bcb9d7cb320232420d0f8773463.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg.38a30753dc448a13c02c4f1c658f5282.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg.15d8d06df5ad0849655dc4abd20ecc3f.jpg

Personally haven't seen one fail at the graft, and we have a number of grafted coppers on the site.

Some further discussion and images on this old thread.......

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/5372-bad-grafts-beech.html

Based on the planned works, it sounds like consideration of crown reduction on your tree is prudent.

image.jpeg.fa58522e2da89530c3bc80e2b8913d5a.jpeg

Think they're normally on common beech stocks Stubby.

Thought so Gary . I was working near a huge and beautiful Fern leafed Beech and you could just make out the graft . What was interesting was some of the lower limbs had reverted to the parent root stock and were producing regular Beech leaves whilst the rest of the tree had the Fern leaves .

Looking at your first pic I was also thinking that a portion of the crown might be directly connected to the rootstock. One vascular channel arising to the left seems to bypass the faulty graft. Is the leaf color consistent? (if there are leaves now...)

At any rate yes a light crown reduction might be in order. So hard to understand what is going on under there!

Thought so Gary . I was working near a huge and beautiful Fern leafed Beech and you could just make out the graft . What was interesting was some of the lower limbs had reverted to the parent root stock and were producing regular Beech leaves whilst the rest of the tree had the Fern leaves .

Nursery I work at uses common beech seedlings, as I'm sure all do. Beech can only be propagated by seed or grafting, yes micro propagation as well perhaps these days, the specimen in the photo was definitely before then.

• 2 weeks later...
although I have no experience of beech failing at a graft union and often wondered at the possibility, having seen a few, the most recent this week end, I thought I'd add to the above list, seen at The Arboretum at Batsford Arboretum

I remember seeing at least two beech, along with some other species, that had snapped at the graft union during the great Storm. But that was an extraordinary weather event, so generally I'd agree with you.