Mitox Vs Stihl....

Logged On

Currently use a 391 with an 18inch bar at work, and was thinking of getting something a bit bigger - something around 24inch, for when get caught out and a larger than usual chunk comes in, and to use as a 2nd saw.

As it'll be the occasional / 2nd saw, we don't need to spend a fortune, so have been looking at the Mitox saws....

What they like? Reliability, parts - in general etc???

Thanks...

Currently use a 391 with an 18inch bar at work, and was thinking of getting something a bit bigger - something around 24inch, for when get caught out and a larger than usual chunk comes in, and to use as a 2nd saw.

As it'll be the occasional / 2nd saw, we don't need to spend a fortune, so have been looking at the Mitox saws....

What they like? Reliability, parts - in general etc???

Thanks...

If you put in a search on Mitox saws you might find an old thread or two if they have not been deleted .

A saw isn't measured by the bar size but by the engine capacity. You say you want to run a 24" bar, to me I would be running an 80cc+ power-head on a bar that size. 70cc would be the minimum size engine I would use on a 2' bar.

If you stick a large bar on a small saw, it will just keep bogging and be a very frustrating experience.

I have taken a look and Mitox do a 62cc saw on a 24" bar and 4HP on tap.

A Husqvarna 372XP develops 5.4HP and would pull a 24" bar in a decent usable way.

I guess you get what you pay for. I gather Mitox are a reasonably well put together machine at the purchase cost but would suggest that you either go for a larger machine or shorter bar.

A saw isn't measured by the bar size but by the engine capacity. You say you want to run a 24" bar, to me I would be running an 80cc+ power-head on a bar that size. 70cc would be the minimum size engine I would use on a 2' bar.

If you stick a large bar on a small saw, it will just keep bogging and be a very frustrating experience.

I have taken a look and Mitox do a 62cc saw on a 24" bar and 4HP on tap.

A Husqvarna 372XP develops 5.4HP and would pull a 24" bar in a decent usable way.

I guess you get what you pay for. I gather Mitox are a reasonably well put together machine at the purchase cost but would suggest that you either go for a larger machine or shorter bar.

Im told by my local place that the 24" mitox is a bit gutless, better at 20". Spuds post makes sense from the little experience i have, id be looking at a 70cc machine, however ive heard that the echo 620 punches above its weight here, some vids on youtube with the running 24" without too much trouble, might be worth a look for occasional use and available for around £580 which seems like good value compared to the husky/stihl competition. I quite fancy one to fill inbetween my ms251 and 281xp.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Had a quick look at the Mitox website, although the saws are undoubtably cheap and the after service and parts backup looks better than you'd get with any other unknown brand, they use a heavier, larger displacement engine to make the same power as a smaller stihl, husky, echo, solo/whatever. For instance their 3hp 18in bar saw has a 50cc motor and weighs 6.5kg, any other manufacturer would have made the same power from a 40-45cc motor and got it weighing under 4.5 kg.

PLus the 40:1 oil mixture would put me off slightly, I would want the same fuel to run in every 2 stroke machine I had, definitely couldn't be arsed with one can for the Mitox saws and one for everything else!

However if none of the above put you off the dealers and backup look pretty good and it seems like you get a fair bit for your money.