Mk6 transit alternator.

Gerbutt

Hello all

I have a problem with my transit tipper. It was sat on the drive for a month and a half over Christmas without being started. I started it yesterday, which it did fine to my surprise, but the battery light stayed on. I took it for a spin to top the battery up but the light didn't go out. I used the van today and it started fine, but on the way back to the yard after work the lights all went real dim, indicators stopped and speedo wasn't working. I dropped the chipper off and then it wouldn't start, got it jump started and just made it home. I'm thinking that the battery is fine because it started after the long break, but then using it yesterday and today was to much because the alternator wasn't recharging? Do you think just need a new alternator, or a battery as well?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all

I have a problem with my transit tipper. It was sat on the drive for a month and a half over Christmas without being started. I started it yesterday, which it did fine to my surprise, but the battery light stayed on. I took it for a spin to top the battery up but the light didn't go out. I used the van today and it started fine, but on the way back to the yard after work the lights all went real dim, indicators stopped and speedo wasn't working. I dropped the chipper off and then it wouldn't start, got it jump started and just made it home. I'm thinking that the battery is fine because it started after the long break, but then using it yesterday and today was to much because the alternator wasn't recharging? Do you think just need a new alternator, or a battery as well?

Could be just an alternator brush sticking after the long break. Might be an easy fix.

Hello all

In they absence of test equipment Gerbutt I would take the battery off the truck and charge it, then take the truck somewhere and get it checked out. Jump starting or using booster packs on these transits can spike the injector pump and cause them to fail.

Bob

In they absence of test equipment Gerbutt I would take the battery off the truck and charge it, then take the truck somewhere and get it checked out. Jump starting or using booster packs on these transits can spike the injector pump and cause them to fail.

Bob

That's interesting to know Bob, thanks. I was going to buy a heavy duty jump pack! One thing, is the battery under the bench seat, not had a chance to look tonight?

Cheers, how would I go about freeing it off?

Normally a couple of small screws on the opposite end to the drive pulley. I believe they are under the voltage regulator. Little blocks of graphite type material that should move against a spring. Might be stuck and just need moving a few times with finger pressure, if they bind against their housing clean up with fine wet and dry.

Normally a couple of small screws on the opposite end to the drive pulley. I believe they are under the voltage regulator. Little blocks of graphite type material that should move against a spring. Might be stuck and just need moving a few times with finger pressure, if they bind against their housing clean up with fine wet and dry.

Cheers dude, it'll be interesting to see because it does sound like you could be right, it was fine before the time sat on drive. Just watched a vid of a bloke changing some brushes, what sort of shop sells them if new ones are needed?

Remember you've got two batteries, not one.

Beg/borrow/steal a multimeter, and check voltage across the caps at tickover.

If this doesn't increase when you press the accelerater, the problem is alternator related.

Similar just sorted on mine, £475 new alternator and batteries fitted.

Batteries were 10 years old, I'd had my monies worth.

Cheers dude, it'll be interesting to see because it does sound like you could be right, it was fine before the time sat on drive. Just watched a vid of a bloke changing some brushes, what sort of shop sells them if new ones are needed?

Might get them from a motor factors, main dealer or Internet although repairing is probably not so common as it used to be. You might find a shop/ auto electrician who reconditions alternators and starter etc. If it's not the brushes they would check it out for you.

Bob

I read duratorq engines shouldn't be jumped with the clutch down as there is no oil pressure for the timing chain adjuster so the chain can jump on shock load and wreck the cam carrier. Apparently just pulling it from being in gear is okay though? Luckily never needed to jump my mk6 though.