3.5-7.5 tonne trucks

Thesnarlingbadger

Hi people just wanted to get a bit of info in this area whether it is going to be worth my time going out and getting a catC1+B.

I am on a post 97 licence but have a B+E so I can tow up to 3.5. But I will have to retake my trailer licence if I upgrade to get catC1 on my licence.

I was planning on getting a 3.5 tonne tipper of some sort with a plus 750kg chipper. But given the fact I can only really fit a tonne of chip on the back before I am over the legal limit, I am wondering if I should just sort out a catC1 licence and get another +B or should I just stick with 3.5 tonne?

I know licences are always useful but it's an extra £700 on top of setting up my business. And then probably a little more on a 7.5 tonne truck as opposed to a 3.5.

So what do you guys use? Mogs are out of the question at the moment (maybe a little later).

What do people do to avoid carrying over the weight limit? Or don't?

Just looking for tips, advise any help in this area would be handy. Thanks people?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the long run the most economical thing to do would be get a c+e license. Yes, it's going to biggest outlay initially but you have b+e, c1, c1+e and c categories all included and it lasts till retirement.

What vehicle you buy is a different matter.

Start with the 3.5/750kg chipper, see how it goes, it's a big leap straight to the lorry.

Was thinking that to be honest just don't want to get done on the weight limit but I have worked for a few companies who run over the limit all the time, and not one of them have been palled, it's just Sod's law it would happen if I was to do it.

So is it a certainty that you have to retake the trailer part after upgrading your license?

I've got trailer entitlement myself but post 97 license as yourself

Yeah you have to get the C1 then go through the plus E again. Pain in the arse and just another way for the DVLA to make a bit more cash. But rules is rules as they say

I generally avoid going obviously overweight by taking 2 vehicles to jobs.

One towing a 3.5t tipping trailer good for 7m3 of chip.

However, things are afoot and a new 7.5t truck is in the pipeline.

Ty

Would 7m3 not be over 3.5?

Unfortunately I don't have the cash to splash out on a second truck as I'm starting out. Took me a long while to save for the one plus chipper and the rest lol.

I would invest in the C+E if I were you, its a sound tax deductible investment which costs pale into insignificance when you look at the expense of all the other kit used in this game. If things ever go quiet its another job you can go off and do.

Bob

In the long run the most economical thing to do would be get a c+e license. Yes, it's going to biggest outlay initially but you have b+e, c1, c1+e and c categories all included and it lasts till retirement.

What vehicle you buy is a different matter.

This is true and I surprise having the C1+E gives me an advantage when I sub for other companies when work is dry.