Which Bandsaw Mill would you purchase & general info

AndyChalmers

Hi, I am looking into buying a new Bandsawmill. Possibly second hand. I have never milled before & have searched through this forum and gained quite alot of information. As a overview I own a 15 acre woodland in the UK (Sunny North Yorkshire). I am 1/2 way through my 1st thin & have stacks of Ash & Norweigen Spruce. Generally 6" to 12" diameter with some bigger stuff. I have left the bigger trees standing untill if/when needed. been looking out for second hand mill for ages but none seem to come up at the right location or cost. I am planning on building some buildings next year eg workshop, a few small log challets, plus hopefully building some big 2 storey log cabins however these will be contracted out and timber probably purchased pre cut.

I am working out if its feasable & worth while to do some of the timber myself. I would like to try make my own 3"x2", 4"x2", 4"x4" timber etc plus fence panels, rustic cladding & rustic furnature.

I own a 5ton 360 with grab, tractor, trailers, saws, planers, spindle moulders etc etc however work on my own usually.

I am looking at the Woodland Mills, Hudson, Timbery M100 etc etc. What are peoples innitial thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Bought a Timbery M100 a year ago now. Paid for itself inside 6 months, and would do so even quicker if we had a way of loading the bigger logs. Will do 2' diameter. Not the fastest mill on the market, but does us fine making rustic furniture etc. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I also did a lot of research before buying a mill and did a comparison between the following:-

Hudson 218

Kellfri

Woodland HM126

Holzman BBS550

Dack SM800

Lumag BSW66GL

Trakmet TTP660

All these are entry-level machines and generally in the price range of £2500 to £4000.

Personally, I would buy the Woodland Mills, followed by the Trakmet if you can get a deal on it straight from Poland.

I'm an engineer and looked at most of these and have to say that the Woodland was better built and a bit more sophisticated in things like band tensioning, cam locks for sawhead height etc. It was just better built overall and very well priced at £2600 + vat.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

I have the Trak-met TTS800 standard and it's excellent. Different class of mill but all of Trak-met's products are built like brick outhouses. Mine weighs 4100kg and even the basic TTP600 standard (they do an Eco now which is cheaper) is 1250kg.

I have a lorry coming over from Trak-met later this month with a TTP600 standard and two firewood processors if you wish to see it.