Cedar of Lebanon

ACTREE

Hi,

We have a client who wants to plant a mature Cedar of Lebanon in a v. large garden as a memorial to a family member, but I can't seem to source a mature Tree anywhere, I have tried Barcham's and many others and the largest I can find is 4m, and they want an instant Tree - does anybody know of anyone who can supply one please, any ideas welcome?

i'd really try and persuade them that small is better. A tree the size they want will cost a fortune both in the cost of the tree and the planting. Maybe money is no obstacle in this case, but a smaller tree will likely get to the height of the larger tree by the time it even establishes itself, if it doesn't die first. Just my opinion.

Agree completely. Patience is a virtue. The smaller the tree the more likely it is to establish well, which comment will undoubtedly attract howls of derision from professional tree planters!

There is another aspect to this: it is believed by some that trees transplanted when half-grown (ish) fail to reach their full size. For some reason they grow a bit and stop.

I know someone who spent £200 on each of a pair of 8' Magnolia grandiflora about 12 years ago. They are in good, well-prepared ground in an open aspect and suffer no plant competition. They are now 12' tall and barely flower.

I was trying to source a mature Yew a few years back, to replace one some builders had boshed over without permission.

The biggest I could find fell well below the requested 40', and was in Germany.

It was £13k not including transportation and planting, and came 100% NOT guaranteed to survive.

Never found out what happened in the end, solicitors and insurance companies were involved.

Surely a small healthy tree is a more fitting tribute than a big knackered one?