Yew tree in Birmingham. Any offers?

justo7

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't hold your breath mate, I have 2 coming out tomorrow, bigger than yours and put them out to wood turners etc, none were prepared to pay much at all. The customer wanted £100 which I think is very fair. I will now be cutting up for logs as worth much more and less hassle. Good luck anyway.

It is a shame to see such wood cut up , but as you say many people express an interest , others will tell you it is worth a fortune yet it is rare for anyone to put their money where there mouth is ( so to speak ) I have seen plenty of wood in contractors yards etc left to ruin because no will pay what is expected , Quite a few times in the past turners ( mostly retired ) have wanted the wood yet play the poverty card , but are driving a £ 20 000 car !!!

I don't really mind if someone wants it for nothing, got to ask for an offer first as I don't really know the value. So since many people are cutting stuff like this and bigger.......free to who ever wants it But you have to come get it. I would rather someone have a use for it. But at the end of the day, if there's no one, then it's fire wood. Done my bit:biggrin:

It is a shame to see such wood cut up , but as you say many people express an interest , others will tell you it is worth a fortune yet it is rare for anyone to put their money where there mouth is ( so to speak ) I have seen plenty of wood in contractors yards etc left to ruin because no will pay what is expected , Quite a few times in the past turners ( mostly retired ) have wanted the wood yet play the poverty card , but are driving a £ 20 000 car !!!

those old farts give us a bad name to be fair and once a tree surgeon has dealt with a couple then it tars the rest of us with the same reputation.

if they are big enough then they should be milled in my opinion.

It is true you might make more from logging it but there is more work involved with it. You have to cut it, split it, store it for a year, market and deliver it. So for instance you may get £200 for firewood or £100 from someone with a mill, but because there's less work in selling it as a but you get better value.

I am not saying this is always the case but sometimes it is.