Size matters

sparkes

I am sure this has been asked many times before but please excuse the new boy! I am going to buy a mill to run on my MS440. The site I visited says I shouldn't go above 28" but if I am to loose 6" due to brackets could I push up to a 30"? Also where is the best place to buy mill, bar and chain? Don't like ebay etc as never sure who it is selling and was ripped off in the past. Thanks for any help.

Is the site you vivited an official one??

Go with the recommended power output, there is little as disappointing as a saw that under performs

See Ruskin for more

“It is unwise to pay too much, but it’s worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money . . . that’s all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing that is was bought to do".

Really you should not be starting off chainsaw milling with a smaller saw/longer bar combo...

Ok further down the line, more experience etc then fine but initially you need larger saw smaller bar if anything. You can go down the lo pro route but this is by all means not an 'answer all' method - it is best visited after some milling experience first.

I know the issue is always - cost! ie. I already have this saw and these large logs but I don't want to fork out £1k for a big saw yet!

Go for a small log mill or a smaller Alaskan, stick within recommended limits on guidebar length, Rome was not built in a day so start with smaller logs and getting some milling time in... there will always be a larger log for another day!

Any sort of milling/planking is a long term thing and knowledge and experience is gained over time rather than a few weeks...

:biggrin:

Is the site you vivited an official one??

Go with the recommended power output, there is little as disappointing as a saw that under performs

See Ruskin for more

“It is unwise to pay too much, but it’s worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money . . . that’s all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing that is was bought to do".

I like this quote a lot, heard it many times and sort of fits in with "A fool and his money are easily parted!"