Dove relocation.

Mark Bolam

Dropped a bollock today and felled a conny with dove squabs in it, lightly feathered.

If I think there's no chance I normally despatch them humanely in this situation.

There was a conny hedge adjacent to the tree, about 4m vertical and horizontal from the nest site.

I spent first bait time building a platform in a crotch and topped it with old nest matter, then moved the squabs on to it.

Came back to find mrs. dove sitting on top.

More exposed than I'd like, but they've got a chance.

Mates garden, so if they survive I might dye them pink so I don't shoot them one day.

It's a funny old world.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being born and bred in the country I used to knock the odd young pigeon on the head, throw the nests out of connies with eggs in (I looked on them as vermin, which they are really) but as you get older you get softer. Well done mark you old softie:thumbup1:

Nice one, I did something similar with a wrens nest on yew couple of weeks ago, trimmed the branch it was on and wedged it further in crown and wrapped ivy over top to make it less visible to sparrow hawks , magpies etc and now chicks in it😀

I once did half a leylandii. The squabs stayed put, but I imagine the parents where not impressed to find the little darlings covered in sawdust.

They are so hard to find if you look first, it is a problem and the homeowners sometimes say nothing because its the reason they want rid in the 1st place!

Well done on the relocation

it can be hard to justify all the time checking every tree but I would preferrer to take a bit longer on the recon than spend it relocation

that said you can't see everything so well done once again( how do you think you miss it this time so others don't )

Edited by Ian G 2
Auto correct

Being born and bred in the country I used to knock the odd young pigeon on the head, throw the nests out of connies with eggs in (I looked on them as vermin, which they are really) but as you get older you get softer. Well done mark you old softie:thumbup1:

It's a fair point Steve.

I reckon most country lads on here would admit to becoming softer as time goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk