Hernia

Starscream

Hospital have told me I have an inguinal hernia.. Anyone else had one? It hurts but it doesn't bother me too much, neither does the thought of the operation.. What does bother me is the recovery time and not lifting heavy things etc.. Well, funny old thing, my job is just that!! Can anyone whose had one tell me what recovery time is like? Docs are saying a month off work?? Not feasible. Then another guy said he had one done on the Friday and was back to work on the tues, which I'm not sure I believe. Is it a case of how you feel or is it a case of waiting for recovery? I don't want to exacerbate the problem, of course, but would be nice to hear from others who have had this and how they got on. Thanks

Had the op 18 months ago. Went in for the op at 11am woke up at midday and on the way home after having a sandwich and cuppa by 12.30

First week was painful but after that wasn't to bad. I got told 6 weeks off but took 4. After 2 weeks I wasn't to bad and prob could've gone back but waited a further 2 to play safe.

After about 6 months it got painful again and turns out they've cut through my nerve endings and will have the pain now forever more. Since then they've told me its a 1 in 8 chance of that happening but never told me that in the op build up.

They happily told me 1 in 200 can end up infertile or 1 in every 200,000 can reject the mesh but not the most common thing!!

That said I never gave it a thought not to have the op. If its happened it wont repair itself and will only get worse not having the op. I was just unlucky and altho the pains there because its constant you almost forget its there. I did have a choice off tablets but they where also used for depression!! Hell the prescription went in the bin..

Had one for 3 years, had opp open surgery on 21 nov told to have 8 weeks off abit of pain all that time off saw consultant he said scare tish, went back to work for a couple a days a week them more days a lot more pain then a lump appeared again went back to see consultant confirmed yes opp has failed some how got see a diffrent consultant now and have key hole.

Best of luck.

Had one for many,many years stupidly....was enormous and I ignored it...it destroyed me as a person....thankfully I eventually sorted it (15 or so years later) don't be an idiot like me....simple operation and short recovery unlike mine which took over a year!!!

I had a hernia, had the operation it hurt like hell for a couple of days after I think I was back driving a week later and back to work two weeks later, but being careful. If I remember right the doc told me the mesh was stronger than human tissue and it wouldn't fail even if I went back to work the next day, just the pain would be bad! I didn't push it though! Get the op done sooner the better, listen to your body go back to work as soon as you feel you can but just take it easy

Had a triple (umbilical and groinal) 10 years ago - keyhole and mesh - 3 months off and needed it to heal. Good for 8 years then had keyhole for a double groinal 2 years ago - 2 months off. Had single last year - proper cut open umbilical and was back on light duties in 2 weeks, climbing after 4. Everyone is different - just feel what your body is telling you

I was keen to get back to long distance walking and running.I rarely climb these days, but I think climbing is serious exercise.I chose the op as these things do not go away

Your circumstances are relative to you so I can only say what happened to me. A couple of years ago I had key hole surgery for an inguinal hernia which was not painful. After surgery I did pay for advice from a sports therapist, these may be a bit more understanding of how keen we are to return to our sporting ways.

The programme I followed after researching various sources .

Ist week rest after surgery.

wks 2-4 short walks(2mls) and some light stretching.

wks 4-6 slowly regain strength. Cycling and swimming useful i.e less load bearing

9 weeks for scar hardening to go.

No serious exercise for 4 months, stop anytime if pain is felt.

Edited by fagus
imprve post

had two now. first one was opened up properly and that took a good while to heal. did take a good time off work and then did odd bits to build up again, but once back to work i guess after a year i got too keen and it failed.

had 2nd one done keyhole, slower recovery second time round but maybe i was more cautious and touch wood its been fine since.

watch out for painkillers, they can back some functions up badly!