now that's a proper mill.

se7enthdevil

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve, there is a German company called Wimmer that makes them that size. Also think Stenner used to make them that size. Don't know if they still do though. Theres a sawmill up near Arbroath that can handle the big trees. Had a nice chat with one of the owners a few years ago and he told me the FC used to send them all their big logs for cutting.

found this on ebay, looks the business...

Mobile Sawmill | eBay

all mills should be able to fit 5' then non would go to waste because there are no mills with that capacity.

I did see that a while ago - certainly looks interesting but not really what I'd call mobile!

Mike - Wimmer make stunning machines. I got a quote from them (a lot of money) for their smallest mobile machine when I was on the hunt for my sawmill.

It's all relative though. A Lumbermate is dwarfed by a Woodmizer LM40. My mill dwarfs an LM40 and I suspect this mill dwarfs mine. Wider bands doesn't always mean better cuts, but it certainly helps.

Certainly is using a Loglogic derived head( Trekkasaw/Autotrek), so max width of cut would be 1000mm, it may be able to handle 60" dia logs by system cutting..... but hardly mobile in my humble opinion, and if any body would like to give me 12k for my Autotrek I would listen to the offer as contemplating renewing my mill.

Have contacted various suppliers, but not Wimmer(drooling at the thought, but logistics of towing probably precludes)not on the list, so Big J if you would oblige, be grateful of indication of costs for their smallest mill. Have to say that the "other German" red sawmills agent was a little sketchy with his knowledge of his product and as of yet, 1 week later, has yet to come up with a price......

Certainly is using a Loglogic derived head( Trekkasaw/Autotrek), so max width of cut would be 1000mm, it may be able to handle 60" dia logs by system cutting..... but hardly mobile in my humble opinion, and if any body would like to give me 12k for my Autotrek I would listen to the offer as contemplating renewing my mill.

Have contacted various suppliers, but not Wimmer(drooling at the thought, but logistics of towing probably precludes)not on the list, so Big J if you would oblige, be grateful of indication of costs for their smallest mill. Have to say that the "other German" red sawmills agent was a little sketchy with his knowledge of his product and as of yet, 1 week later, has yet to come up with a price......

I think (if memory serves) the non mobile Wimmer BN110 was about £58k and making it mobile was another £10k on top of that.

An alternative (Canadian option) that I like the look of is Selectsaw. It runs wide double cutting bands, so is very fast. AJ Scots in Northumberland have one.