what insurance do I need for countryside work with volunteers

Eddt

Hi,

I am a self employed contractor working in the countryside management sector. I have public liability insurance but have been told that if I am to be working with volunteers I will need employers liability. The volunteers are not my personal volunteers and they will be registered for another body working on their land with their tools, I just have to give guidance. Has any one had any experience in this kind of thing?

Cheers

Ed

Hi

You will have to have employee and employer liability if you are the "THE LEADER" this is classed has employing someone.

There is a way round this by using the Volunteers own insurance. by them employing you!

If the organization say that this is not possible the I would suggest that they are not telling the whole truth or they are total ----heads for not having their own insurance.

Most groups I have worked with after explaining the ins and outs they have gone and sorted some insurance out. I know that it is sometimes a nice feeling of satisfaction having spent a day with volunteers.

One thing! if the group is working for the council or is a council group then that council will have insurance or should have insurance.Hope this helps. Phil

http://www.countryment.com

Edited by phirow

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply. the information is very useful. The group I am working for is a local council and I have been contracted to do their countryside ranger duties including working with volunteers from time to time. Alot of people have have expressed the same view as you. Cheers. Ed

Hi Eddt,

I started off contracting then was taken on full time, I would say speak to the legal or finance team for a copy of the insurance policy, if they dont want to show you the policy as your a contractor then get it in writing that the clause within there policy covers volunteers as employees or are listed within the policy. covers your back.