Yew Tree Danger???

staffordtreecare

Evening all,

I have a big job on over the next couple of days to remove a very old Yew tree which in itself is a fairly straight forward job. I am aware of the toxicity of yew trees and danger posed if leaves and seeds are digested but a gardener friend of mine commented that I should wear a breathing mask whilst chainsawing to prevent inhalation of dust as it can be a problem.

I've done a bit of research but I cant seem to find a definitive answer? I wasn't planning on wearing a mask but he has sown the seed of doubt and I was hoping someone on here can give a bit more clarity on the matter.

Cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the warning on the dust should be pointed at us turners mostly as we have the potential to inhale plenty of dust over the years but for cutting down one tree it will be no problem. the tree will still be wet and the wood will not turn in to the sort of dust that can be a problem but as most turners like dry timber the dust is microscopic and can really get in to your lungs.

if there was a known problem with toxicity on any species then there would be an extra charge for droping it, you'll be fine

Good to know thanks. I have searched for hours tonight on here and the Web but couldn't find anything other than wood turners warnings!!

I'd agree with the comment that moisture level of any dust will be key to how much quantity may be inhaled

Here's a (referenced) list of tree species and their known allergy & toxicity qualities

Wood Allergies and Toxicity | The Wood Database

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-dust-safety/