Laetiporus decay

Came upon this Oak failure, whilst out and about yesterday.

Pretty sure the desicated bracket is Chicken of the woods.

You can see from the tear out, that the target area for the mycelium is the heartwood, where there has been cellulose degredation, resulting in a brown rot which has catastrophically reduced the ability of the branch to flex.

DSC00771.jpg.ccbdf3a4c359df82926fc5125ae3fbb9.jpg

DSC00774.jpg.2194e4821144e5274371dc51764b67e2.jpg

DSC00770.jpg.9c06185f3941f69bb40a7c13f2eb14e5.jpg

DSC00769.JPG.3350e6071dc5ec3670df2b764a47c115.JPG

DSC00768.JPG.9a7bfa579be77a3956e72a72c64edb0b.JPG

DSC00776.jpg.4aff42e23f2d9b2415a76183405e6a03.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

The ingress would be from exposed heartwood, there are a few retained dead branches/stubs, but I would presume these have compartmentalised, judging from the swollen collars.

So, as you've noted, possibly a n other branch failure from a storm or snow loading event.

I am always interested in how, why and what precurser signs to look for on BIG limb failures. Especailly big limbs with no external signs that you wouldn't think twice about using as an anchor point.

Half the reason I don't like bigshotting into a tree is I like to inspect each and every branch union on the ascent into a tree and looking for and understanding such as ingress points near a big branch unions will help you choose or avoid certain anchor poits

Half the reason I don't like bigshotting into a tree is I like to inspect each and every branch union on the ascent into a tree and looking for and understanding such as ingress points near a big branch unions will help you choose or avoid certain anchor poits

The other half being, that you've been telling porkies all the time, relating to your pistol cups,

and you're actually just a crap shot............:001_tongue:

What would you predict the amount of sound wood at the base of this Ash?

We recently undertook a Picus on a mature Oak on the boundary of a sports field with laetiporus and decided on a thin and reduction of the end weight of a large limb over a target - looking at the picture not sure if this was sufficient!

Came upon this Oak failure, whilst out and about yesterday.

Pretty sure the desicated bracket is Chicken of the woods.

You can see from the tear out, that the target area for the mycelium is the heartwood, where there has been cellulose degredation, resulting in a brown rot which has catastrophically reduced the ability of the branch to flex.

Am I missing something here? All I see is Oak! Classic old Laetiporus FB & decay though...

Edited by Monkey-D
Spelling sort of