Need some advice mounting bird boxes

sasha.p

I am looking for the best ways of mounting bird boxes to trees .I am aware of arbor bolts but I am working with a charity that has a limited budget and these are a little out of their price range so what I am looking for is the safest least damaging way to mount some boxes to the trees can people please suggest some tried and tested methods and how frequently they should be checked and adjusted if neccassary ?

I've just put 35 up in my wood. Used a length of galvanised fence wire with a fencing staple in the top back of each side of the box. Goes around the trunk and then cut and wrapped around through the staple. Once a year when you empty the muck out of the box you just re-position it slightly so it doesn't bury in the bark. Cheap and very easy and totally secure.

PLEASE PLEASE do not use steel nails. Someday somebody will curse what you did when they are cutting through it with whatever type of saw they are using.

Drill the holes in the boxes ready and if you really have to use nails use aluminum. They are available in DIY stores hardware merchants, screwfix etc. A birdbox is for a few years until it drops off. The nail is in the tree for as long as its woody.

Nails devalue timber and are an bodged eyesore

Arborbolts are for lightening rods on trees I thought, I put up loads of orienteering plaques. I used a spring which they put on small tree sign plaques, basically a cone spring.

So cone spring and a timberfix hex screw, as tree grows bird box compresses spring. Then go up and loosen it off, tree officer was very happy with it and took a sample with him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

I am looking for the best ways of mounting bird boxes to trees .I am aware of arbor bolts but I am working with a charity that has a limited budget and these are a little out of their price range so what I am looking for is the safest least damaging way to mount some boxes to the trees can people please suggest some tried and tested methods and how frequently they should be checked and adjusted if neccassary ?

tree stake rubbers like overgrown cable ties. screw to box then around tree as tree grows they expand and no damage to tree. untill tree gets so big that ties will not move will not need checking for a few years